A governance vote on the Compound Finance DeFi platform regarding compensation for users that lost funds through DAI liquidations is just hours away from conclusion with votes against dominating.
The thirty-second governance proposal would distribute COMP tokens to offset losses incurred by liquidated DAI stablecoin positions. As it stands, a majority vote of 76% is currently against the proposal with around six hours remaining.
A community Autonomous Proposal to distribute 55,255 $COMP to DAI borrowers liquidated on 11/26 has gathered the necessary support to become Proposal 32.
— Compound Labs (@compoundfinance) December 11, 2020
On November 26, an anomalous spike in DAI prices on Coinbase caused an off-mark DAI price relative to the other exchanges and liquidity venues. The anomaly caused the liquidations of DAI positions on the Compound platform resulting in the loss of funds for users.
The proposal suggests distributing 55,255 COMP, or around 0.55% of the total supply, to affected users. The compensation works out at 8% of the amount of DAI liquidated, it is paid in COMP with prices calculated from a 14 day average.
Whale Addresses Vote No
The top addresses voting against the proposal to compensate users are Polychain Capital which has almost 50% of the entire vote, Blck, and Dharma. The total number of votes against at the time of press is 681,290.
According to Compound’s governance policies, a majority and at least 400,000 votes need to be cast in favor of a proposal, which is then queued in a time lock and can be implemented after 2 days.
At the time of writing, there are 212,952 votes or just 24% for the proposal with contributions coming from other DeFi protocols such as InstaDapp, the DeFi Pulse Index, and DeFi Rate.
Synthetix founder Kain Warwick also voted for users to be compensated, explaining why in a recent tweet. He stated that Compound Finance is one of the safest DeFi platforms out there but there are risks and liquidations due to anomalous prices are foremost among these;
I voted yes on @compoundfinance proposal 032. This proposal would distribute COMP to offset losses incurred by liquidated DAI positions. https://t.co/G3DdxEdIOY I thought about this a lot over the weekend, and while I expect the proposal to fail here is my reasoning regardless.
— kain.eth (@kaiynne) December 14, 2020
“The reason I voted yes is that I want to ensure there is skin in the game for all COMP holders, so they are hyper aware that the funds on deposit are at risk, and they are responsible.”
Oracles For Price Discovery
He added that there is an indirect alignment between COMP holders and depositors, and this initiative would be good for overall trust restoration and stakeholder alignment.
He also suggested that using a better price reference such as Chainlink’s oracles may help to prevent repeats of the Dai price incident.
“The final point I will make is that I would highly suggest the Compound community at least discuss with @chainlink, the possibility of using their oracles as a backstop.”
As it stands, the proposal will be rejected in six hours’ time when voting is concluded.
- Breaking: Twitter Integrates NFT Profile Pictures and Crypto Wallets On IOS
- El Salvador wants to give small businesses access to Bitcoin-backed loans
- Meta and Instagram To Allow Users To Create, Display And Sell NFTs
- Breaking: Bank of Russia Calls for Full Ban on Cryptocurrency
- Will Turkey Follow El Salvador to Legalize Bitcoin (BTC) Tender?
- Breaking: Andreessen Horowitz Seeks $4.5B For New Crypto Investments
- Meme Coin Update: BabyDoge Coin Crosses $1.6B Marketcap And 1.3M Holders
- Microsoft’s Activision Acquisition Bullish for SHIB Community- Shiba Inu Spokesperson
- GBTC Share Price Tanks As the Bitcoin Fund Trades At Record Discount
- Terra Ecosystem Announces the LUNA Foundation Guard (LFG) to Boost Growth, LUNA Up 4%
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?