The demand for digital dollars is soaring and the second-largest stablecoin in the crypto ecosystem has just reached a new circulation milestone.
The Centre Consortium’s USD Coin has just surpassed 3 billion in circulation, growing by nearly 500% in 2020 according to a blog post today. The founding members of the consortium are Circle and Coinbase and their USDC stablecoin is shaping up to rival the industry standard Bitfinex dollar pegged coin, Tether.
The blog post added that since launching in 2018, USDC has supported more than $230 billion in on-chain transactions, spanning diverse industries and use cases. The most recent of which has been in the decentralized finance sector where the asset is often used as a pair for liquidity pools.
Total value locked in DeFi protocols recently reached an all-time high of just below $15 billion which is an increase of over 2000% this year alone.
David Puth, Centre CEO, commented;
“The accelerated growth of USDC over the course of this year is the result of our active work to establish an open standard for fiat digital currency on the internet,”
He added that he fully expects that the adoption of USDC will continue to expand globally and that growth will continue at a very strong pace. According to Coingecko, USDC is now the thirteenth largest crypto asset in terms of market capitalization, just behind Bitcoin SV.
Tether Supply Surges
USDC, which recently partnered with Visa, is not the only stablecoin experiencing monumental growth in 2020. The industry standard, Tether, has also hit a record high in terms of supply which is just shy of $20 billion.
According to the Tether Transparency report, there are $19.88 billion USDT in circulation, an increase of 360% so far this year. Of that total, 62% or $12.4 billion is currently on the ERC-20 token standard running on the Ethereum network.
$1.33 billion is on Bitcoin’s Omni network while $6.3 billion USDT is operating on the Tron network. There are smaller amounts on the EOS, Liquid, SLP, and OMG networks.
Digital Dollars in Demand
USDT and USDC are the two largest stablecoins by market capitalization but others are also surging in terms of supply. MakerDAO’s Dai stablecoin has also hit an all-time high of just over $1 billion this week, an increase of over 2300% since the beginning of 2020.
Binance’s stablecoin BUSD is the fourth largest with a market cap of $670 million, while Paxos is down in fifth with $390 million.
- Luxury Car brand Lamborghini joins the NFT Bandwagon
- Mercedes Taps NFT Creators In Celebration of G-Class Series
- Why Ethereum (ETH) Price May Explode Coming July?
- Elon Musk Shamed After DogeBonk Took The ‘Moon Mission’ Challenge To The SpaceX Factory
- Cardano (ADA) Price Rises By 30% Last Week, Transactions Volume in last 24 hrs Surpasses $5 Billion
- Cardano (ADA) Dodges Broader Market Correction With Another 8% Gains
- MultiChain users at risk of Getting Hacked, as Six Cross-Chain Tokens Experiences Vulnerability
- ‘Ripple is giving SEC more Trouble than Anyone in Crypto’ Attorney Chervinsky
- OpenSea Sets New ATH For Monthly Trading Volume, Surpasses $3.5B in ETH
- Malaysian Converts Selfies Into NFTs, Becomes Millionaire In Just 5 Days
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?