Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the Indian central bank today issued a clarification about recent reports of certain banks using its 2018 circular to caution customers against crypto transactions. RBI said that Banks cannot use the quashed 2018 circular to deny transactions to customers. The official classification read,
It has come to our attention through media reports that certain banks/ regulated entities have cautioned their customers against dealing in virtual currencies by referring to the RBI circular DBR.No.BP.BC.104/08.13.102/2017-18 dated April 06, 2018. Such references to the above circular by banks/ regulated entities are not in order as this circular was set aside by the Hon’ble Supreme Court on March 04, 2020, in the matter of Writ Petition (Civil) No.528 of 2018 (Internet and Mobile Association of India v. Reserve Bank of India). As such, given the order of the Hon’ble Supreme Court, the circular is no longer valid from the date of the Supreme Court judgment, and therefore cannot be cited or quoted from.
Two major Indian banks HDFC and SBI were seen sending out emails or cautionary notices for customers involved in crypto transactions, asking them to avoid any such transactions through their network citing the 2018 quashed circular. The clarification could come to the rescue of both customers as well as crypto exchanges who have complained about banks’ noncompliance as well.
Can RBI’s Clarification Come to the Rescue of Crypto Exchanges in India?
The said RBI circular issued in April 2018 prohibited banks in the country from offering their services to crypto platforms, which was later overruled by the Supreme Court in March last year. However, despite early compliance banks started to block services to crypto platforms claiming no regulatory clarity to be the reason. This also led to several service outages and great difficulty in depositing and withdrawing from crypto exchanges.
The current clarification from the Indian Central Bank might resolve the issue in the short term, but the obscurity around regulations could cause friction between the banking system and crypto platforms again.
- Ethereum’s Futures Open Interest hit a 3-month low, what does this mean for the market?
- Professional Mining from Digital Mining Experts Is Now Available via GMT
- Just-In: Georgia Binds Its Residents in Holy Oath Against Bitcoin Mining
- Wager Based 3D PVE/PVP Arena Battler Engines of Fury Storms GameFi With Incredible Content
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Devs Begin to Fix Recent Issue of ‘Wormhole’ Addresses’; Here’s All You Need to Know
- BNY Mellon Sees Meaningful Revenue In Crypto by 2023 Post Clear Regulations
- Moody’s Confirms El Salvador’s Ratings Unchanged After President Bukele’s Reactive Tweet
- Luxury Car brand Lamborghini joins the NFT Bandwagon
- Mercedes Taps NFT Creators In Celebration of G-Class Series
- Why Ethereum (ETH) Price May Explode Coming July?
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?