NFT volumes appear to be thriving despite ongoing weakness in crypto market, data shows. A mix of old and new players are driving the latest boom.
While most major cryptocurrencies have stuck to a limited trading range for most of 2022, NFT volumes and holdings have skyrocketed, even outpacing a surge seen last year.
Overall crypto market capitalization has stuck to between $1.6 trillion and $2.2 trillion for most of the year, with majors such as Bitcoin and Ethereum consolidating around $40,000 and $3000, respectively.
On the other hand, data from blockchain analytics firm Into The Block shows that NFT trading volumes surged exponentially this year, more than doubling from the start of the year to $56 billion.
Old projects and new
The surge in NFT volumes is also accompanied by a jump in the number of NFT collections, which far eclipse gains seen even in 2021. A record number of over 3.5 million addresses now hold NFTs.
A bulk of this recent boom can be attributed to renewed interest in established stalwarts such as the Bored Apes collection. The upcoming launch of a metaverse saw the collection’s floor price rush to record highs this week. Spinoffs such as Mutant Apes and Kennel Club also saw large price spikes.
But flashy new entrants also appear to have captured the market. The Moonbirds collection, which launched earlier in April, has consistently topped sales charts in the week since its launch.
Why are NFT volumes skyrocketing?
Looking at the data, one can conclude that 2021’s NFT boom is showing no signs of stopping. A major factor in this is likely that the medium is far more accessible than crypto, and is subject to lesser regulatory scrutiny.
Web3 and non-web3 companies are also still foraying into the space. Coinbase recently launched its much awaited NFT marketplace, while Japanese social media giant Line recently launched its own venture.
- G7 Countries to Discuss Crypto Assets This Week After Recent Terra Ecosystem Collapse
- Whales Eye Litecoin Ahead Of Major Update, Here’s Why
- Just-In: Robinhood Now Supports Web3 Wallets And NFTs
- U.S. Is Winning Bitcoin Mining Race But China Still Not Out Of Picture: Report
- Stablecoin Meltdown: This Token Loses $7 Billion Within A Week
- Just-In: Polygon (MATIC) Releases Nightfall Mainnet Beta; Here’s Why It’s A Big Deal
- Ripple (XRP) Price Jumps Over 4%, Here’s Why
- Coinbase Cuts Down Hiring After Q1 Losses Hit $420 Million
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Price Soars 6% In A Day, Here’s Why
- KuCoin Lists $UST Crisis Born Stablecoin $USDD; Details
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark