Another ransomware attack hit the US during the 4th of July holiday weekend. Ransomware hackers claiming Russian origin demanded $70 Million in Bitcoin (BTC) to provide universal decryption codes. Over 200 firms in the United States and hundreds more globally fell prey to the recent hack.
The ransom demand was posted by a group called REvil, which is allegedly a ‘Russian’ group. The hackers are claiming to have access to over 1 million computers worldwide. The only way to retrieve hacked data is to pay up, or else there lies the risk of a leak or permanent deletion of information.
Biden is baffled but uncertain
The US government is battling the issue of ransomware breaches for the past few years. These hacks are presumed to be connected with Russia. President Joe Biden has appointed intelligence agencies into investigating the source of the attack.
Despite raging rumors about Russians being responsible for the attack, Biden clarifies that there is no certainty as to who the culprits are and what is their nationality.
Nevertheless, earlier in June, Biden was captured warning the Russian President Vladimir Putin against any breaches from Russia into the US infrastructure and databases will be cause for retaliation.
“We have the significant cyber capability, and [Putin] knows it…If they violate these basic norms, we will respond … in a cyber way.” Biden told reporters at the press conference post his first meeting with Putin in Geneva.
‘Russian’ hacking groups who are allegedly getting support from the Russian government, have been hacking into the US systems for a couple of years now, leaving a dent in America-Russia relations. From hacking into beef production of 20% of firms in the nation to shutting down the East Coast pipeline for days, Russians have been suspected to be toying with the American government for a while now.
- Breaking: Do Kwon Releases Another LUNA Revival Plan
- Just-In: Grayscale Adds Five New Tokens To Its Investment Products
- Another Stablecoin Follows LUNA $UST, Crashes Within Hours
- PlanB: Bitcoin (BTC) Is Creating A Bottom For The Next Bull Market
- Shiba Inu Holders Increase Amid Market Crash, But There’s A Catch
- LUNA Crash: South Korea Toughens Up Investigations Over Terra (LUNA) Crisis
- Avalanche (AVAX) Slumps 5% In Minutes On Fears Of Terra Dump
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Reserves Decimated By Terra Crash
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Member Says Terra Reserves En Route
- Just-In: El Salvador To Discuss Bitcoin Adoption With 44 Countries
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Retest Phase Warns $0.08 Fallout
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured below $0.50; Is Selling A Good Choice?