Embattled crypto lender Celsius received a second buyout offer this week amid growing concerns over its insolvency.
This offer comes from lender Chainge, which earlier in the week issued a letter of intent to buy out “certain” businesses and assets of Celsius.
Chainge did not specify what assets of Celsius it intends to purchase, but said that it will likely retain all of the lender’s employees after the deal. Chainge said it will issue a definitive announcement on the deal.
The offer is the second buyout deal for Celsius after the lender suspended withdrawals last week, due to a liquidity crunch. Peer Nexo had earlier offered to buy the firm’s debt obligations.
Chainge wants to avoid contagion from Celsius
The crypto lender said a Celsius insolvency would damage the entire crypto market, and that such a scenario should be avoided.
@CelsiusNetwork potentially facing insolvency affects us all. We strongly believe there is no better way of moving forward than working together towards decentralization.-Chainge Finance in a Twitter thread
Lido Staked Ethereum behind recent woes
Celsius’ recent liquidity woes stem from a drop in the value of Lido Staked Ethereum (stETH), a DeFi token commonly used by the lender as collateral.
A drop in the value of the token exposed the token to several margin calls from its lenders, which it was unable to meet. This resulted in several of the lenders positions being liquidated.
Celsius isn’t alone in its exposure to stETH. Hedge fund Three Arrows Capital faced a similar scenario, as did lender BlockFi. The latter recently won a $250 million bailout from crypto exchange FTX.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Polygon Price Analysis: $0.45 Fallout could Plummet MATIC price by 25%
- ETH Price Analysis: Can $1000 Support Undermine Selling Momentum?
- BTC Price Analysis: Technical Indicator hints Upcoming recovery for Bitcoin
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?