The South Korean government has continued its efforts to secure the position as the leading crypto regulator across the globe. This time around, the authorities have targeted the NFT phenomenon of P2E games. The nation’s Game Management Committee (GMC) under the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism recently approached mobile app store giants, Apple and Google to block any games that possess a prerequisite of making in-app purchases prior to playing the game.
According to local news, South Korea’s regulators has levied P2E games as malicious schemes aimed to extract more money out of people. Therefore, with the latest order from the GMC, it will now become impossible for P2E games to get listed on major app stores. While the authorities have not used the word ‘ban’ for P2E games, their actions determined the intent.
P2E games vs GMC
This was not the first time that the South Korean authorities launched a crackdown on P2E games. The GMC was already in an ongoing battle with P2E game organisations over the ‘age-ratings’ fiasco. While the GMC required for these NFT games to seek age-ratings from the committee itself, but the P2E game companies were consecutively launching new games in the domestic market using the self-rating system.
“It is reasonable to keep P2E games from getting age ratings under the current law because cash rewards in games can be considered prizes.”, said a government official on the matter of blocking P2E games, referring to the Supreme Court’s decision.
The self-rating system was derived through in-house grading service provider, i.e., by using an in-house service provider for the release allowed the game companies to rate itself. However, the Game Commission prohibited distribution of P2E games across the nation, referring to the provisions of the Game Industry Promotion Act ‘ban on prizes’ and used its own rating service provider to block the games. This has led to further friction between the authorities and the P2E industry, where the gaming companies continue to take GMC to the court.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?