Over the last few months, South Korea has tightened the regulations on the crypto market. However, latest developments are suggesting not just a softened stance, we might actually be in for a legal status for Cryptocurrencies and ICOs.
Is crypto-strict South Korea finally relaxing on cryptos
According to Korea Times, the Supreme Court of the country recognized cryptocurrency legal as an “asset with measurable value.”
The decision came when a previous appellate court ordered to confiscate 191 bitcoins from an individual named Ahn. These bitcoins (BTC) are worth 2.4 billion won or $2.3 million that are earned from running an online pornography website. This was reportedly the first time a cryptocurrency has been “subject to confiscation.”
The Supreme Court of South Korea stated:
“The cryptocurrency is recognized to have value so it can be confiscated.”
The 216 bitcoins were earned illegally that prosecutors urged that should be seized as cyber assets. But the lower court rules against them stating they have no physical form and only exists electronically.
According to the article,
“Under Korean law, seizable hidden assets ranges from cash, stocks and money in deposit accounts as well as other tangible and intangible assets that hold value.”
The high court then ordered bitcoins to be confiscated because “the bitcoins were earned from the proceeds of crime.”
The Supreme Court upheld this ruling which has the bitcoins, with five-fold increased value as Ahn was convicted in september, eventually confiscated.
South Korea moving towards allowing ICOs
Just recently, the National Assembly of the country made a proposal to allow domestic ICOs. Last year, regulators banned the ICOs completely and have failed to present any guidelines.
Now, the National Assembly has come forward with legislative and policy proposal to allow ICOs with focus on investor protection.
The special committee stated:
“We need to form a task force including private experts in order to improve transparency of cryptocurrency trading and establish a healthy trade order. The administration also needs to consider setting up a new committee and building governance systems at its level in a bid to systematically make blockchain policy and efficiently provide industrial support. We will also establish a legal basis for cryptocurrency trading, including permission of ICOs, through the National Assembly Standing Committee.”
After taking a strict stance on cryptos and ICOs, South Korea is gradually making its move towards legalizing the market.
Do you think the legalization of cryptos and ICOs will happen sooner than later? Share your thoughts with us!
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Football Clubs Look To Mine Cash Revenue With Crypto Offerings
- Fed Readying To Launch The US Crypto Policy? White House Directs Agencies To Prepare Report
- Here’s Why You Should NOT Yet Buy the Bitcoin Dip, Miner Capitulation Ahead?
- MicroStrategy (MSTR) Stock On Free Fall As SEC Rejects Its Bitcoin Accounting Strategy
- Second Consecutive Crash Day Extends Investor Loses Over $350 Billion, El Salvador Buys the Dip
- DeFi’s Liquidation Volume Hits $34.33 M ATH, The Highest Since Last year’s December
- Portugal opens First Physical Store for Buying and Selling of Bitcoin
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?