In a major development, British Westminster Bank NatWest has come to the rescue of crypto investors. In order to protect investors from dubious crypto schemes and crypto scams, NatWest has launched an ‘urgent’ crypto scam alert for its mobile app users.
Users of the NatWest mobile app will be directed to a warning scheme in case of suspicious crypto projects. Besides, the alert also notifies account holders to make sure that they have direct control of the digital wallets that handle transactions. It asks the users to beware of projects that make promises of any outsized returns.
The bank noted that one of the most common crypto scams is a fake celebrity endorsement. Here, potential investors are asked to fill an online form and encouraged to set up a crypto wallet over a phone call. On the other side, the scammer installs remote access software on their device that grants them access as well.
The victims are then asked to make large deposits in the crypto wallets while the scammers liquidate all the funds at their end. Jason Costain, NatWest’s head of fraud prevention told BBC:
“We have prevented millions of pounds from being sent to crypto-criminals who are exploiting the high levels of interest in the currency. However, consumers should always be alert, especially to the use of fake websites and bogus celebrity endorsements”.
FCA Regulatory Check-Up
U.K’s topmost financial regulatory body – Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – has created a list of such dubious and unauthorized firms. The FCA warns that people dealing with any of these firms will not be protected by the regulator.
The NatWest mobile app also warns users that while dealing with any crypto sellers, make sure that it registered with the FCA. With the recent surge in the crypto market this year, the number of scams has also skyrocketed simultaneously.
Regulators are on a run and hunting down projects that target gullible investors. Regulators worldwide have tightened up the working of different crypto firms requiring them to have due to AML and KYC checks of investors.
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long