Beginning from January 2022, Korean-based crypto exchange Coinone has announced it would no longer permit withdrawals of tokens to unverified external wallets.
Coinone Issues Ultimatum For Customers To Fall In Line With New Requirements
According to the Wednesday announcement, Coinone says users must register their external wallets with the exchange from December 30 to January 23. And after the ultimatum is reached, Coinone would be stopping any such withdrawals. The exchange also noted that although the verification process may take a while, users would only be able to register their wallets.
The new announcement is an attempt by Coinone to ensure that it counters all forms of illicit activities that some crypto users might want to dabble into.
According to Coinone, it’ll look to verify users’ identity as well as their resident registration numbers, a number issued to every resident of South Korea. In short, customers must complete the Know Your Customer KYC before they can withdraw funds to their wallets.
Stronger KYC Gradually Becoming A Thing With Top Exchanges
Recall that in March, the South Korean government passed a bill into law that requires local crypto exchanges to meet some requirements. While the exchanges were required to have a real-name account and ISMS authentication, they are also required to give a full declaration of all their operations within six months.
Additionally, there’s another tax rule slated to take effect from January. Once it takes effect, this rule will classify crypto users with trading profits of $2300 and above, to be slammed with capital gains taxes.
But that’s not all. Several other exchanges like Bithumb, are also stepping up their verification process. Bithumb recently announced stronger KYC and has also put in place stricter Anti-Money Laundering (AML) checks.
Interestingly, however, Coinone is possibly going to continue accepting wallets offered by exchanges who have already complied with KYC checks, including the likes of Binance, and FTX.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?