Elon Musk dropped a bombshell late yesterday after he announced that Tesla would no longer accept Bitcoin payment owing to its network’s high consumption rates, while at the same time also informed that Tesla won’t sell any Bitcoin they had bought earlier in February. The announcement took everyone by surprise given Musk had recently extended his support for Bitcoin’s promotion of clean and renewable energy usage. The billionaire received a lot of flak from the Bitcoin community for flip-flopping on his statements. Many pointed towards the company’s recent attempt to enter the renewable fuel credit market.
Musk has now added to his early announcement with an energy consumption chart of Bitcoin’s network, calling the recent energy consumption trend insane.
— Elon Musk, the 2nd (@elonmusk) May 13, 2021
While there is no denying the fact that Bitcoin’s PoW mining consensus consumes comparatively much higher energy than most of the other crypto assets but at the same time, it is also important to note that a majority of Bitcoin mining energy comes from clean renewable energy sources such as hydro powerplants and windmills. China which is the hot spot for Bitcoin mining has the most concentration of miners in areas where surplus clean energy is available in plenty, something Musk is aware of but doesn’t seem to highlight just three weeks after acknowledging it.
The Theories Behind Elon Musk’s Recent Bitcoin Energy Consumption Fud
Tesla has been receiving governmental subsidiaries for quite some time now and it played a key role in keeping the company afloat even at the brink of bankruptcy, thus the most formidable belief is that Tesla doesn’t want to face the government’s wrath but also make Bitcoin profit, thus they have decided to discontinue accepting Bitcoin as payment yet continue to hold the same supposed environmentally bad bitcoin which they bought a few months earlier.
Another theory suggests that no one is using their Bitcoin to buy Tesla cars which is understandable given the asset has risen multi folds since the start of the year and Tesla itself made more profit holding their Bitcoin than what they have made from selling their highly popular cars.
- Breaking: Do Kwon Releases Another LUNA Revival Plan
- Just-In: Grayscale Adds Five New Tokens To Its Investment Products
- Another Stablecoin Follows LUNA $UST, Crashes Within Hours
- PlanB: Bitcoin (BTC) Is Creating A Bottom For The Next Bull Market
- Shiba Inu Holders Increase Amid Market Crash, But There’s A Catch
- LUNA Crash: South Korea Toughens Up Investigations Over Terra (LUNA) Crisis
- Avalanche (AVAX) Slumps 5% In Minutes On Fears Of Terra Dump
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Reserves Decimated By Terra Crash
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Member Says Terra Reserves En Route
- Just-In: El Salvador To Discuss Bitcoin Adoption With 44 Countries
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Retest Phase Warns $0.08 Fallout
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured below $0.50; Is Selling A Good Choice?