Several privacy-focused coins have noted interesting rallies over the past couple of weeks. Coins such as Monero [XMR], ZCash, DASH have been surging despite the current stagnancy in the market.
According to the latest edition of Coin Metrics’ report, Monero’s market cap climbed to its highest level since September 2018. That was not all. The popular privacy coin’s on-chain activity appeared to be surging as well. To top that, XMR’s transfer count is just shy of setting new all-time highs.
ZCash is not far behind as well. ZEC transfers were also on a steady rise. Part of its growth can be attributed to the growth of DeFi – similar to wrapped BTC and wrapped ETH, wrapped ZEC tokens were growing since June. In addition, ZEC transfers also gained traction especially from mid-July, perfectly coinciding with the DeFi boom. Recently, Winklevoss twins-led Gemini became one of a handful of cryptocurrency exchanges regulated in New York, which allowed its users to withdraw confidentially privacy coin confidentially.
It is becoming more and clear that Bitcoin and crypto are here to stay. But the same cannot be said about the privacy coins. Despite the increasing popularity, the mounting threat by the regulatory watchdogs cannot be shrugged off. The recent blow came when the popular crypto intelligence firm, Chainalysis, and data forensics company Integra Fec won a combined $1.25 million contract to provide tools to “break Monero”, for the U.S. Internal Revenue Service [IRS]. This is not the first time that the country’s authorities have zeroed down and targeted privacy coins. Several Asian crypto firms had previously delisted privacy tokens from their platforms in mid-2019.
More recently, it was the Department of Justice’s latest memo that reignited the debates of financial privacy. The memo essentially spoke about adding a backdoor to everything digital so that government authorities/law enforcement agencies with appropriate legal authority can access data seamlessly. What is even more clear is that there is currently an ideological battle over self-custody and privacy. Whether or not they are able to “break Monero”, the looming threat is very evident and there is a sword hanging over the privacy coin’s head.
Hence, despite its growth, many in the community are skeptical about using privacy coins as potential “investments”. Jason Choi, who is the Founder of The Blockcrunch Podcast also echoed a similar sentiment. He stated,
“I’m excited for privacy tech but bearish on privacy coins as *investments*, as I expected exchanges delisting over time to avoid the ire of regulators. Never expected some of them to go after self-custody as well”
- BNBPeach Simplifying High Yield Farming
- Indian Trade Association CII Recommends “Special Class Securities” For Crypto
- 7 Reasons Why The Bitcoin and Crypto Bull Run Will Stretch Well Into 2022
- Bitcoin (BTC) Dominance Falls Lowest Since Feb 2018, Here’s How Altcoins can Benefit
- XRP Lawsuit: The DPP Dispute is Back, Here’s How It May Ravage Ripple’s Former Win
- Former OCC Chief Says the U.S. Is “Unquestionably behind the curve” in Fostering Crypto Growth
- CBDC India: RBI Governor Compares Digital Fraud to Fake Indian Currency Notes
- World’s Top Venture Capital Firm Sequoia Capital Hints at DAO Integration
- Google Trends Data: ‘Dogecoin’ and ‘Ethereum Price‘ Amongst Top 10 Most Searched News
- RFOX: Building the Metaverse for Everyone
- Tron Price Analysis: The TRX Coin Preparing For The Recovery Phase With Eyes On The $0.123 Mark
- Chainlink Price Analysis: The LINK Token Hints At A Bear Trap In Its Technical Chart
- Polkadot Price Analysis: The DOT Coin Shows Buying Pressure Below 0.618 FIB Level; Will This End its Correction Phase?
- XRP, Terra and NEM Price Analysis: 08 December
- Filecoin, EOS and Litecoin Price Analysis: 08 December
- Tezos Price Prediction: XTZ Is Up 35% To 5.5% As Bulls Aim For $7.0
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Back Above $50K As Market Recovery Begins
- BSV Price Analysis: The BSV Coin Prepares For Its Next Big Move Resonating Inside A Definite Range
- AVAX Price Analysis: The Coin Price Has Discounted 35% In This Correction Phase; Is This a Fair Value For AVAX?
- Ethereum, Harmony and Spell Token Price Analysis: 07 December