Tether founder, Craig Sellars, shares an interesting story of a billion-dollar opportunity missed by Goldman Sachs.
In the aftermath of the Goldman Sachs report on Bitcoin and Gold, Crypto Twitter goes gaga over what was intended to be criticism. Leading Bitcoiners slammed their view and the general consensus was that the multi-national bank was attempting to mislead. Tone Vays, derivatives trader and crypto analyst notes,
Although, this isn’t the first time when Goldman Sachs has rejected the blockchain space. Tether Creator, Sellars shares an interesting story from a proposal meeting in 2015. He tweeted,
In 2015, I went to Goldman Sachs and said “Tether is a central bank in a box. Do you want it?” They asked, “why would anyone want a dollar on a blockchain?” I replied “Because it’s the dollar. On a blockchain.”
They laughed me out of the room.
Currently, Tether has issued over $9 billion in USDT, making it the third-largest cryptocurrency with respect to market capitalization.
A Jibe at USDC Circle Too?
Sellars not only belittled Goldman Sachs with the success of Tether but also went on to criticise USDC. It is the second-largest stablecoin with around $740 million issued in the markets. PAX follows Circle with 1/3 of the supply of USDC.
Sellars play of words criticise the design behind Circle. He says,
Notice the replacement of ‘the dollar’, with ‘a dollar’ with the addition of ‘Kinda.’ Circle is a well-established blockchain start-up, with investors including Goldman Sachs Group, Baidu, and Bitmain. According to the Circle webpage,
USDC is issued by regulated financial institutions and backed by fully reserved assets, and redeemable on a 1:1 basis for US dollars.
While it does not state that is backed 1:1 by the US dollar, neither does Tether. Tether is backed by its reserves as well. It includes ‘traditional currency and cash equivalents and, from time to time, may include other assets and receivables from loans made by Tether to third parties.’ Nevertheless, the criticism by Sellars seems to point at less transparency and more control from the Circle management,
What do you think Sellars meant by “Kinda”? As we await a response from his, feel free to share your views on it.
- Stablecoin Meltdown: This Token Loses $7 Billion Within A Week
- Just-In: Polygon (MATIC) Releases Nightfall Mainnet Beta; Here’s Why It’s A Big Deal
- Ripple (XRP) Price Jumps Over 4%, Here’s Why
- Coinbase Cuts Down Hiring After Q1 Losses Hit $420 Million
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Price Soars 6% In A Day, Here’s Why
- WOO Network Halts Terra’s LUNA Trading Just Hours After Relisting It
- Terra Crash Spilled Over Into Other L-1 Blockchains, Here’s How
- SEC Chair Gensler Responds To Terra Crash, More Regulation Due?
- Terra Like A Crypto “Pyramid Scheme,” Says Activist Investor Bill Ackman
- Ethereum Shorts Building Up, ETH Exchange Supply Rises
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?