The cryptocurrency myth that its security is unbreakable has been proved wrong several times. The latest is a multimillion scam being investigated by the federal agency or the FIA of Pakistan. The fraud involved misleading investors into sending funds from Binance wallets to unknown third-party wallets, reports Cointelegraph.
Fraudsters dupe investors worth multi-millions of rupees
The FIA, the primary central investigative agency of Pakistan, has issued notices to crypto exchange Binance to unearth the links around a multimillion crypto scam in the region. After several complaints of investors being misled into sending funds from Binance wallets to unknown third-party wallets, a criminal investigation was initiated.
— BitcoinAgile (@bitcoinagile) January 9, 2022
News obtained locally said that the FIA’s Cyber Crime Wing has issued an attendance order to Binance Pakistan’s general manager Hamza Khan. In addition, the process to identify the exchange’s link to fraudulent online investment mobile applications has been initiated.
The Notice detailed the relevant questionnaire has been dispatched to the Binance Headquarters Cayman Islands and Binance US to explain the same. The modus operandi of the fraud was simple.
Huge and unrealistic returns were promised, and users were tricked into registering on Binance and transferring funds to third-party wallets. These schemes are beneficial to old clients at the cost of new clients. After making a killing worth billions of rupees, they ultimately disappear.
Fraudulent crypto mobile apps
More than 11 fraudulent mobile apps that suddenly stopped working after successfully stealing the user’s funds have been identified. The apps determined by FIA are MCX, HFC, HTFOX, FXCOPY, OKIMINI, BB001, AVG86C, BX66, UG, TASKTOK, and 91fp.
Besides misleading the users to transfer the funds, the apps also added the victims on a Telegram group for providing expert betting signals. Each application hosted around 5,000 customers on average.
Pakistan‘s Federal Investigation Agency reportedly issued a formal notice to Binance. The Notice read: “At least 26 suspect blockchain wallet addresses (Binance wallet address) have been identified where fraudulent amount may have been transferred. A letter has been written to Binance Holdings Limited to give the details of these blockchain wallet accounts as well as to debit block them.”
FIA has already blocked the bank accounts that were linked to the suspicious apps and warned that non-compliance could invite stiff penalties on Binance through the State Bank of Pakistan
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?