Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), the world’s most valuable NFT collection, said on Friday that its Discord server was compromised, and that other servers were also being attacked. The collection warned its followers against minting anything from Discord for the moment.
BAYC said a webhook in its discord had been briefly compromised, but had been caught almost immediately. The NFT collection’s discord is currently under lockdown.
Blockchain security firm Peckshield reported that Etherscan data showed a Mutant Ape Yacht Club NFT (#8662) was stolen. The token is currently worth over 21 ETH ($68,900) on OpenSea. Data also showed that the token in question was sold on the platform in the past hour.
STAY SAFE. Do not mint anything from any Discord right now. A webhook in our Discord was briefly compromised. We caught it immediately but please know: we are not doing any April Fools stealth mints / airdrops etc. Other Discords are also being attacked right now.
-BAYC said on their Twitter handle
Stolen Apes everywhere
Separately, Taiwanese singer Jay Chou said his tokens were stolen in a phishing attack. The stolen goods included a BAYC, a Mutant Ape Yacht Club, two Doodles, and 169 ETH ($549,000), according to data from Etherscan.
It was unclear if the two incidents were related, given that they happened about a day apart, and were from different ETH wallets.
Owned by Yuga Labs, BAYC is the most valuable NFT collection by total value, which is at about 1.2 million ETH ($3.9 billion). The collection saw a surge in popularity through March after it introduced its own native token, ApeCoin.
Crypto-related heists on the rise?
Today’s hack comes shortly after one of the biggest ever crypto hacks in history, where an attack on the Ronin Network stole more than $600 million from the reserves of popular crypto game Axie Infinity.
Crypto’s digital reliance makes the space extremely vulnerable to cyber attacks, despite constant efforts from developers to avoid such a scenario. The space has seen several notable heists over the past decade, with the largest, prior to Axie, being that of Japanese exchange Coincheck.
- Breaking: No VAT On Cryptocurrency Issuers In Russia, Details
- Just In: Robinhood Lists Chainlink (LINK); Price Up By 5%
- Just In: USDC Parent Inks Major Pact With New York Bank
- Here’s Why Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices Tumbled
- This Is Why Ethereum (ETH) Recovered Sharply From Below $1K
- Top Binance Exec To Keep Buying Bitcoin, But There’s A Catch
- Expert Sees Fed Reversing Interest Rate Hikes, How Will It Affect Crypto?
- New Bullish Cycle Likely After Bitcoin Reaches This Level, Stats Show
- Cardano (ADA) Sees Big Drop In Interest, But Is Likely Primed For A Rally
- Digital Asset Investment Products Saw Net Outflows of USD 423 Million Last Week, Sell on Rise?
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001