On Wednesday, May 4, California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a new executive order on cryptocurrencies. This is quite exciting news considering that California is the state with the largest economy in the U.S. Thus, it could encourage governors of other states to make a similar move.
The crypto executive order lays out a roadmap for regulatory and consumer protections. Besides, it also talks about the benefits of blockchain technology and the roadmap for adoption. Speaking to CNBC, Dee Dee Myers, senior advisor to Newsom said:
“Of the 800 blockchain businesses in North America, about a quarter of them are in California, dramatically more than any other state. We’ve heard from so many that they want to be here, and we want to help them do that responsibly.”
Newsom has asked his state business and economic development office to work in partnership with California’s Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency.
Key Aspects of California’s Crypto Executive Order
The crypto executive order seeks to build a transparent business environment for companies operating in the crypto space. Myers added that the executive order “balances the benefits and risks to consumers, and incorporates California values, such as equity, inclusivity, and environmental protection”.
As a result, the state agency will soon submit its findings and recommend the next steps. Myers said that the agency plans to hold several consultation rounds with the stakeholders. They will also talk with other consumer advocates and critics. Myers added:
“The opportunities are almost endless. We can do things like remove middlemen from transactions involving real estate or even automobiles. We can use it to protect people’s identity and provide benefits to people through government services. If we’re selling carbon offsets, we can make sure the same forest isn’t being sold twice and that there’s some record that’s transparent.”
He added that along with promoting innovation, it is critical to put “guardrials” in place and eliminate bad actors to “make sure there are enforceable and clear guidelines to protect everybody.”
- Is Do Kwon’s Terra Recovery Plan Part Of A “Kill Switch” Protocol?
- This Top-50 Crypto Jumped 28% This Week Despite A Market Crash
- Goldman Sachs: Crypto Drawdown Will Have Little Impact on U.S. Economy
- Just-In: Ethereum Merge Most Likely In August, Says Vitalik Buterin
- Beware, Bitcoin Jumping Back Above $30,000 Could Be A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s why
- Terra Ecosystem Announces Some Key Amendments to Its Revival Plan
- Breaking: Stablecoin Tether ($USDT) Reveals Reserves Fully Backed In New Report
- LUNA Crash: Blockchain Firm Losses $3.5 Billion As Terra (LUNA) Crumbles
- SWIFT Plans To Interlink All CBDCs, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Ripple (XRP) Throws In $100 Million To Cut Down Carbon Emission
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Strikes $30000; Breakout Or Fakeout?
- TRX Price Analysis – Another Bullish Attempt For $0.075 Breakout
- KuCoin Price Analysis: Low Volume Rally Hints Pullback Opportunity in KCS
- Polkadot Price Analysis: Bull Trap May Drag DOT Price To $7.3 Mark
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000