Cardano (ADA) saw holdings among large traders hit an all-time low during its latest rally. The token surged from 2022 lows on increasing interest in proof-of-stake (PoS) blockchains, as well as an influx of institutional traders.
The token rose 33% from annual lows, going as high as $1.22. It was last trading around $1.18, recently overtaking Terra (LUNA) to become the seventh-largest crypto token by market capitalization, at $40.6 billion.
ADA whale holders hit record low
Recent data from blockchain research firm Santiment showed that ADA supply appeared to be moving out of addresses worth over $100,000- which the firm considers to be whale-tier. Whales currently held about 83.1% of overall supply, which is a record low.
On the other hand, low to mid-tier holders appeared to be accumulating ADA at an accelerated pace. Buying by wallets with between $100 to $100,000 worth of the token surged in the past two weeks, and represented a record-high 16.8% of total supply.
Low-tier addresses, ie wallets with less than $100 of ADA, also appeared to be around record levels. But the tier represented only 0.12% of total supply.
The trend can be observed since the beginning of the year, and represents a healthy amount of diversification among holders. It implies that ADA will be less prone to outsized, volatile swings, and also reduces the potential for price manipulation by any one party.
Institutional demand a major factor in ADA rally
But even while ADA whales are reducing holdings, large-scale trading is a key factor behind ADA’s latest rally. Data had earlier shown 99% of ADA’ s volumes were through transactions above $100,000- a sign that big trading houses were likely exposed to the token.
This increased interest can be attributed to a recent fund launched by digital wealth manager Grayscale, of which ADA makes up nearly 25%. Increased institutional interest could see the token poised for a price explosion like Bitcoin (BTC), given that buying by trading houses was a major factor for BTC’s 2021 rally.
Increased interest in PoS tokens, ahead of Ethereum’s (ETH) shift to the model, has also benefited ADA.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3