Piyush Gupta, the chief executive officer (CEO) at DBS Bank, says cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin will continue to grow as a meaningful store of value, just like gold. However, he also thinks that cryptocurrencies will not take over the role of state-backed currency.
DBS’ Piyush Gupta Considers Crypto As A Store Of Value
In the DBS Bank’s annual report released on Wednesday, DBS Holding CEO Piyush Gupta said private digital coins like Bitcoin can be a store of value as they can be saved, retrieved, and exchanged at a later time, just like gold.
Considering the regulatory and political approach, he said:
“Regulators and politicians will be reluctant to give up control of monetary policy and economic management tools, and will therefore be very cautious about letting private money grow. Having said this, I do think that private money (crypto) will continue to grow as a meaningful store of value, much like gold is today.”
The global bank’s chief does not see privately-issued digital coins taking over the role of state-backed money.
“The reason for this is that money needs to have three attributes: be a unit of account, a medium of exchange and a store of value. Privately-issued coins find it hard to attain the first two of these,” he explained.
Privately-issued coins find it hard to attain the first two of these, according to Gupta, as reasons include a lack of ubiquity, absence of faith in the issuer, and large volatility in value, among others.
CBDCs Set To Become More Prevalent
Moreover, Gupta said central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) will become more common and there’s a need to stay close to these developments. Since 85% of central banks in the world are either currently studying or piloting it, the direction of travel seems clear.
DBS is participating in industry sandboxes and experimenting with the central bank digital currency in association with the Monetary Authority of Singapore, Gupta added.
Countries such as China, the U.S., Russia, Brazil, Australia among others are already experimenting, studying, and piloting CBDC projects.
- Are Hedge Funds Planning USDT Dump? Tether CTO Responds To Rumors
- Here’s Why Apecoin (APE) Price Is Skyrocketing Today
- Crypto Prices Falling Despite “Buy The Dip” Sentiment, Data Reveals Why
- Institutional Traders Dumped Bitcoin At A Record Pace Last Week
- Terra USTC Jumps 300%; Lands Back In Top 100 Cryptos
- Ripple’s EX CTO Dumps 40 million XRP tokens In Last 10 Days
- Dogecoin Soars 35%, Here’s Why Breaking This Level Is Crucial
- Crypto Lender Nexo Denies Fraud, Issues Cease And Desist Notice
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Rise and Stability Pulls Broader Crypto Market to $1 Trillion
- Scoop: This Hedge Fund Is Trying To Bailout BlockFi To Counter FTX
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000
- SHIB Price Analysis: Overhead Supply Pressure Hints SHIB to Retest $0.00001
- Avalanche Price Analysis: Will The AVAX Breakout Rally Reach $30?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: U-shaped Recovery could Lead SAND above $1.5
- NEAR Price Analysis: Reversal Within Channel could Sink NEAR Below $3