Ethereum’s (ETH) daily burn rate is close to overtaking the pace at which new tokens are minted, recent data shows. The token could see a spike in prices as the supply of ETH tokens becomes limited.
The latest rise in ETH burning appears to be driven by increased NFT minting activities. The Ethereum blockchain is the biggest platform for NFTs, which are usually minted by burning a fractional amount of ETH tokens.
Despite recent losses, ETH is still up 20.6% over the past month. A bulk of these gains are attributed to increased interest ahead of a widely anticipated upgrade.
ETH deflation is price-positive
Data from crypto researcher IntoTheBlock shows that ETH’s net daily issuance- the ratio of minting to burning- recently hit a two-month low of 0.87%. The level dropping below 0 will put ETH in deflationary territory.
The last time the token had a consistent negative net issuance was for a week in January. During this period, the token’s price surged as much as 10%. While broader market weakness eventually bought down the token, it still saw a nearly week-long rally.
Recent data from Dune Analytics showed trading volumes on NFT marketplace OpenSea exceeded $100,000 for six days in a row. The indicates an elevated demand for ETH-based NFTs. The token’s daily burn rates were also steadily rising through late-March to early-April.
By comparison, ETH’s hash rate has remained steady for most of the year, around record highs.
Proof of Stake shift is closely watched
ETH is widely expected to shift to a PoS model this year. The move is set to bring down the token’s computing and energy requirements, making it more accessible to investors. This is widely expected to drive more capital flows into the token, especially from institutional investors.
Anticipation of the PoS shift already saw the token rally over 20% through March, while Wall Street majors such as Goldman Sachs were looking into offering derivatives linked to ETH.
- G7 Countries to Discuss Crypto Assets This Week After Recent Terra Ecosystem Collapse
- Whales Eye Litecoin Ahead Of Major Update, Here’s Why
- Just-In: Robinhood Now Supports Web3 Wallets And NFTs
- U.S. Is Winning Bitcoin Mining Race But China Still Not Out Of Picture: Report
- Stablecoin Meltdown: This Token Loses $7 Billion Within A Week
- Just-In: Polygon (MATIC) Releases Nightfall Mainnet Beta; Here’s Why It’s A Big Deal
- Ripple (XRP) Price Jumps Over 4%, Here’s Why
- Coinbase Cuts Down Hiring After Q1 Losses Hit $420 Million
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Price Soars 6% In A Day, Here’s Why
- KuCoin Lists $UST Crisis Born Stablecoin $USDD; Details
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark