Ethereum [ETH] adoption via stablecoin and DeFi has been driving the bullish sentiments. Moreover, the on-chain is also in an uptrend which further strengthens its fundamental value. However, analyst and founding partner at Primitive Crypto, Dovey Wan, points out that in reality the demand could be inflated.
Ironically enough, a lot of the inflated on-chain metrics has to do with ‘Gas.’ Ethereum Gas is the economic measure of the computation required to execute transactions and smart contracts on Ethereum. Lately, the gas usage has been spiking to All-Time Highs. Ryan Sean Adams, a crypto investor and analyst, points the bullish narrative with respect to this. He notes,
There is a strong historical correlation between the price of ETH the asset and the price of Ethereum blocks. Further, it seems we’re in a one of those rare periods where blocks fees are rising faster than ETH price.
Stablecoin and DeFi Adoption
Furthermore, the increase in the supply and transactions of USDT (Tether) on Ethereum has been strengthening the sentiments. Adam points that in the last 30 days ‘USDT spent $1.6 million on gas.’ Yesterday, the total number of daily transactions on Ethereum based USDT reached a new All-Time High as well with over 200k transactions.
Only settlement demand/collateral demand like MAKER can drive up ETH price, not staking nor gas usages, also gas usages from casino/ponzi (which tends to pay high fees) actually squeeze out legit use cases onchain, drive users elsewhere (like to Tron for stablecoin)
The demand for Ethereum locked in DeFi has been in a downtrend since February,
Ponzi and Inflated Demand
Even Adams pointed out that about 20% of the GAS usage was coming from Ponzi and online Casinos. Nevertheless, Wan does not seem to be bent on the ethics of the transaction than the actual value it adds to the network. The mean value of transfers using Ethereum [ETH] has is at par with (or even slightly lower) than last year,
According to her the on-chain transactions for ‘ETH’ or the value locked in DeFi would drive prices, not secondary network usage. She tweets,
Ponzi/casino is NOT a problem, totally fine. but those ponzi/casino are NOT settled in ETH, but mostly stablecoin. so never assume settlement demand always on par with usages
settlement/collateral abstraction is actually a BIG bear case for ETH
Do you think that Ethereum will be able to gain a store of value characteristics with the rising usage? Please share your views with us.
- XRP Lawsuit: Here’s Why Experts Think Ripple Could Win the Case Against SEC
- Does Ethereum (ETH) Risk Becoming a Security After Transition to PoS ETH 2.0?
- Breaking: Coinbase Tops the List of Fastest-Growing Finance Apps
- Cardano’s Smart Contract Count Breaches 2,200, Hoskinson Says Defi “up for grabs”
- Just-in: PayPal Starts Bitcoin and Other Crypto Trading Services in UK
- Dopamine App Brings Vast Crypto Tracking Under One Roof
- Pooshi Coin is launching today! What you need to know
- After Coinbase This Crypto Lender is Facing Regulatory Scrutiny in 3 US States
- Tomi Heroes NFT Sales Volume Just Exploded Past $1.35m, with Massive ROI Potential For TOMI Sale
- Fantasy Sports And NFT Gaming Platform, DeFi 11 Announces Public Launch