In areas where unrest and inflation run rampant, individuals and businesses are increasingly turning to stablecoins to hedge against depreciation and send funds abroad quickly and cost-effectively. This is just one of the findings in new research released today by social trading platform eToro and The Tie which examines the main themes and drivers within the crypto market.
Countries like Venezuela (where inflation exceeds 15,000 percent), and Iran (where inflation is over 34 percent) are seeing significant adoption of digital assets including Tether (USDT), which has more than doubled in overall value to around $10 billion since the start of the year, our research has found.
“While media coverage in Q2 continued to focus on bitcoin, the real story emerging from the data is centered around stablecoins,” said Guy Hirsh, Managing Director of eToro US. “Fiat inflows into stablecoins exceeded $5B in only six months. We might be on the cusp of a systemic change, where developing countries that are searching for a way to ‘exit’ fiat-controlled government systems.”
Additional key findings include:
- Investor sentiment around bitcoin and gold became increasingly correlated as directional price movement remains disconnected. In June, the price of bitcoin and gold futures only moved in the same direction 50 percent of the time, while bitcoin and S&P 500 futures price moved in the same direction 62 percent of the time.
- Many altcoins continue to outperform bitcoin intra-quarter. This past quarter, Cardano’s ADA and ether saw the largest jumps in price, up 175 percent and 70 percent, respectively. This came as bitcoin performed in the middle of the pack in Q2, as the 8th best performing of the 15 assets available on eToro US.
- DeFi has become a major part of the cryptocurrency narrative, with more media mentions of DeFi in Q2 than bitcoin’s halving. However, media mentions of DeFi remain exclusively within crypto native publications, and despite the hype the market is still extremely small, likely in the low thousands of users.
- Tezos was the only crypto which saw an increase in the percentage of eToro users investing in it. All other cryptoassets saw decreases as eToro users globally increasingly invested in stocks.
The report also includes interviews with some of the best performing traders on eToro, sharing their unique perspectives on where they see the best opportunities. Additionally, insights are also included from Arca’s head of research, Katie Talati; and Tron founder Justin Sun.
eToro launched its crypto trading platform in the US in March 2019. Since then, US registrations on eToro have increased over 221 percent.
eToro was founded in 2007 with the vision of opening up the global markets so that everyone can invest in a simple and transparent way. We are a global community of more than 14 million registered users in over 140 countries. Due to the simplicity of the platform users can easily buy, hold and sell assets, monitor their portfolio in real time, and transact whenever they want.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5