Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s ambitious program to create his own cryptocurrency is falling apart amid rising tension from regulators.
According to a Bloomberg report released Wednesday, the Diem Association, which manages the expansion of the Diem digital currency, is contemplating a sale of its assets to return money to its investors. The report adds Diem is selling its technology to crypto-focused small- California-based bank Silvergate Capital for $200 million.
Facebook, now known as Meta, established its cryptocurrency assignment in 2019 and virtually immediately ran into opposition in Washington. Bloomberg wrote, “One of the people speaking to Bloomberg under the condition of anonymity says that Meta owns about a third of the venture, and the remainder is owned by association members, such as Andreessen Horowitz, Union Square Ventures and Ribbit Capital.”
Neither the representatives of Diem nor Meta responded to queries in this regard.
Diem (formerly Libra) is a permissioned blockchain-based payment system proposed by Meta Platforms. In May last year, Diem revealed that it had revoked its application to the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority and said it would pursue the US treasury’s permission to register as a cash services business.
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?