Chris Giancarlo, the former Chairman of the United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has revealed that it is the commission, and not the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) that has the experience regulating the Bitcoin (BTC) and broader crypto market. Taking to his Twitter handle, Giancarlo, who served as the 13th CFTC boss under President Donald Trump said if the Biden’s Administration is keen on regulating the market, it will appoint a new CFTC Chairman.
Only one US regulatory agency has experience regulating markets for #Bitcoin & #Crypto and it is not @SECGov. It is @CFTC. If #BidenAdministration is serious about sensible #Cryptocurrency #regulation, it needs to nominate a CFTC #chairman.
— Chris Giancarlo (@giancarloMKTS) August 4, 2021
Crypto regulation in the United States is a very polarized subject with diverging approach from various US agencies. The ascension of the current SEC Chairman Gary Gensler has been tipped to usher in the needed normalcy and provide the direction the nascent ecosystem requires, however, the regulation approach has been stalled since Gensler was sworn in back in April.
Over time, the CFTC has taken a proactive stance when it comes to the crypto ecosystem. Most of the position of the agency, through its top leaders are often antagonistic to those of the SEC. While the SEC took a legal action against blockchain payments firm Ripple Labs on the grounds that its associated crypto, XRP is a security, several CFTC executives have often maintained a contrary position.
Should the CFTC Take the Reigns of Crypto Regulation?
Giancarlo’s assertions implies that the CFTC can do a better job than the SEC when it comes to regulating the crypto market. However, a more practive and functional proposition was offered by Sen Elizabeth Warren who sent a letter to Treasury Sec Janet Yellen to unite all regulators in a bid to bring a unifying oversight on the market.
While many sees a dissenting position amongst the core US agencies tasked with regulating the broader financial market, the extant laws might be a hindrance to the SEC doing its job. Chairman Gensler recently asked Congress to grant it additional powers so it can duly regulate the cryptocurrency trading platforms operating in the country.
At present, the need to bring functional regulators to govern the crypto ecosystem is crucial. The market is seeing increasing embrace from both the retail and institutional investors, and there are indications of incremental growth in the crypto ecosystem over time. Products like a Bitcoin ETF which has gone live in nations like Canada, Germany and Switzerland amongst others are being advocated to be approved by the SEC which has a number of applications on its table for review.
In all, crypto market proponents wants regulations that will make new technology innovations thrive, irrespectibve of the agency that takes the lead.
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- Crypto News: Thailand To Regulate Cryptocurrencies As Means of Payment
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might Be Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?