A hacker who stole 20 million Optimism (OP) tokens, has transferred 1 million OP to Ethereum founder Vitalik Buterin, PeckShield confirmed on Thursday. Moreover, the attacker delegated the 1 million OP voting right to Yoav Weiss, a security expert and hacker at Ethereum Foundation, as Vitalik had delegated airdrop to Weiss. However, Weiss has stated that he is not the attacker but believes it’s whitehat.
Hacker Sends 1 Million OP Tokens to Vitalik Buterin
A hacker managed to stole 20 million OP governance tokens from liquidity provider Wintermute’s wallet address. Wintermute provided an Ethereum (L1) multisig address, that had not yet deployed to Optimism (L2), instead of an L2 address. Wintermute began to deploy the L1 multisig contract to the same address on L2, but the hacker managed to deploy the contract before the company and stole 20 million OP tokens.
Interestingly, the hacker didn’t use the tokens to manipulate Optimism governance, instead sent 1 million OP tokens to Vitalik Buterin’s wallet address. Meanwhile, Yoav Weiss, who was explaining the attack, tweeted:
“And the plot thickens. As I was writing this explainer, the attacker delegated the 1M OP voting power to me: Thank you for delegating
Hint: no, I’m not the attacker and I don’t know who is. But now guessing it’s a whitehat.”
Meanwhile, the Wintermute team has urged the hacker to return the stolen Optimism tokens. Moreover, they are ready to work with the hacker for consulting opportunities or other forms of cooperation in the future. The liquidity provider offers a one-week time to the hacker to consider whitehat. Otherwise, Wintermute will return funds and track the hackers.
Optimism (OP) Price Falls 20% After the Hack
Ethereum scaling solution Optimism prices tumbled to an all-time low of $0.7142, falling more than 20% in the last 24 hours. The OP token prices, which are already underperforming after a failed listing, suffered another blow after the hack. At the time of writing, the OP price is trading at $0.8473, recovering some loss.
Wintermute hopes it is a whitehat attack as the attacker has only sold 1 million OP tokens, while the attacker still has 19 million OP tokens.
- Shiba Inu Emerges As Top Choice Of ETH Whales; Here’s Why
- Just-In: Shiba Inu Will Release New Token, Here’s How To Earn It
- Breaking: China Court Rules Restrictions On USDT, Here’s Why
- After Market Turmoil, USDC Issuer Circle Comes Clean Hinting No Liquidity Risks
- Just In: More Trouble For India’s Crypto Ecosystem With Latest Enforcement
- Is Celsius (CEL) Next To File Bankruptcy After Voyager, Three Arrows
- Bitcoin Hovers Around 20K; Will It Recover?
- Lido Staked ETH (stETH) Close To Ethereum Price, Why It’s Good For Crypto
- Ethereum (ETH) Recovery To $1.1K A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s Why
- In June 2022, Bitcoin (BTC) Recorded the Worst Monthly Performance In History, Now What?
- MANA Price Analysis: Will Triangle Breakout Propel Market Price by 40%?
- Solana Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Bolster SOL Above $42.5
- BNB Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Breakout Aims BNB to Surpass $300
- APE Price Analysis: $5.6 Breakout May Trigger Bullish Reversal pattern
- CRV Price analysis: Rising $CRV Knockout $0.86 Resistance; is $1 Next?
- Polygon Price Analysis: 20 EMA Resistance Pressurize MATIC for $0.45 Breakdown
- THORChain Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Aim RUNE Price to Hit $3.4
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Cup & Handle Pattern Aims SAND to Reach $1.5
- AVAX Price Analysis: Breakout Rally Eyes $22.1 Mark; Buy Now?
- Cardano price Analysis: ADA Price Nearing Triangle Breakout Eyes $0.655