Trading app Robinhood said on Thursday revenue from its crypto trading unit slumped 39% in the first quarter, as volatile markets kept traders at bay.
Revenue from the app’s crypto division came in at $54 for the three months to March 31, it said in a press release. The firm’s overall revenue also dropped 43% to $299, indicating that tight trading conditions extended beyond crypto markets.
The first quarter of 2022 was marked by wild market swings, as fears of rising inflation, a hawkish Federal Reserve and the Russia-Ukraine war ravaged markets. Total crypto market capitalization is down $400 billion from the beginning of the year.
Still, Robinhood said it remains committed to its expansion plans, and also intends to add support for more cryptocurrencies this year.
Robinhood leans further into crypto
Despite the weak trading conditions, Robinhood is pushing further into crypto to diversify its trading business. It recently rolled out its crypto wallet to over 2 million users, and added popular memecoin Shiba Inu to its roster of supported tokens.
The app also recently flagged plans to expand across Europe, and bough UK crypto platform Ziglu to that end.
But the firm’s push into crypto move also comes as a retail trading rally, which drove high user growth for the app, has largely wound down.
For instance, the firm’s monthly active users sank 10% from last year to 15.9 million. More alarming was a 62% slump in its average revenues per users, indicating that even the users it retained were interacting less with the app.
Crypto trading a crowded arena
But Robinhood’s entry into crypto faces stiff competition. Established players such as FTX, Binance and Coinbase already have a big presence in the United States, and also offer far more crypto-related features, such as staking and DeFi lending.
While crypto makes up nearly a fourth of the app’s revenue, Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev said the division is not a revenue driver, but a long-term attractor of more customers to its platform.
- Just-In: Avalanche Asks ApeCoin To Ditch Ethereum For Otherside Launch
- Tron (TRX) Overtakes Shiba Inu In Value On This Key Reason
- Voting On New Terra Chain To End Soon, Where Does The Tally Stand?
- Ethereum Gas Fee Drops To the Lowest Since July 2021, ETH In Accumulation Phase
- Popular Crypto Wallet MetaMask to Integrate Coinbase Pay As Part of Web 3 Push
- Why Billionaire Ray Dalio Is Still Betting Big On Bitcoin (BTC)?
- CZ Fuels Rumors Of Binance’s Trading Service Launch In Dubai
- Just-In: European Central Bank Says Crypto Unsuitable As Store Of Value
- Shiba Inu The Most-Held Token By ETH Whales, Is Metaverse Hype Back?
- South Korean Terra Holders Skyrocketed After Its Crash, Here’s Why
- TRON Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout may Lead TRX to $0.9 Mark
- Tezos Price Analysis: Dynamic Trendline May Carry XTZ Price to $2.4
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?