Dallas Mavericks, the NBA team owned by billionaire Mark Cuban has become the first professional sports team to accept Dogecoin as a form of payment. The basketball team was already accepting Bitcoin and going by Cuban’s word, the team did not receive any significant payment in Bitcoin. While many were wondering the reason behind the decision, the official press release seems to have answered it and in true Mark Cuban style he said “because we can”
“We have chosen to do so because sometimes in business you have to do things that are fun, engaging, and hopefully generate a lot of PR. So we will take Dogecoin, today, tomorrow, and possibly forever more. For those of you who would like to learn more about Dogecoin, we strongly encourage you to talk to your teenagers who are on TikTok and ask them about it.”
The billionaire entrepreneur has been making crypto headlines for years in what started with bashing Bitcoin with the same old rhetoric of no intrinsic value to his newfound interest in Defi tokens, Ethereum and NFTs. Cuban says his team started accepting Bitcoin almost five years ago and his only aim was to prove that no one buys anything in Bitcoin.
BitPay to Feciliate Dogecoin Transaction For Dallas Mavericks
The Dogecoin payments would be facilitated by crypto payment processor BitPay which added Dogecoin to their platform only today and Dallas Mavericks became the first client to tie-up for Dogecoin payments. As evident from Cuban’s response, the addition of the meme digital currency seems to be more PR-centered than a payment goal.
Cuban seems to be more of an Ethereum proponent who believes the second largest blockchain network would become a gateway for the decentralized world. He also believes Bitcoin would be more prominent as a store of value than a payment solution.
Don't forget, Gold was a SOV built on technology. From picks and shovels to mining operations that keep trying to improve. Whoever could use the tech of the day to find and mine the most efficiently was the most rewarded. Much like Crypto is today. Gold is dead Peter. Move on.
— Mark Cuban (@mcuban) March 2, 2021
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long
- Avalanche Price Analysis: AVAX Sellers Tease $30 Fallout; Sell or Hold?