Mark Zuckerberg’s dream of building the metaverse with the rebranding of Facebook to Meta may be off to a rocky start already. Meta hosted a series of virtual concerts on its Horizon Venues app, where people can watch concerts, sports, and more together. According to reports, the event failed to draw much attention.
The virtual concerts featured performances from Grammy award-winning artists including rapper Young Thug on Boxing day, and DJ and producer David Guetta, and EDM duo The Chainsmokers on new year’s eve. However, Futurism, a science and technology new platform, reports that the concerts were a flop as far as viewers count were concerned.
According to Futurism, despite being free, the performance by Young Thug got just a little over 100,000 viewers while David Guitar’s got close to a million viewers. The performance of the Chainsmokers seems to have been removed according to the report. Even worse, the report notes that the concert failed to generate much attention from the media and social media users and also had technical issues.
Meta is forging on with its metaverse dreams despite stiff competition
Despite the relatively mellow VR concert turnout, the move is a bold one from Meta which can be considered to be in the early days of its development. At the moment, its virtual reality platforms still claim to be under development and hence prone to bugs which it encourages users to point out.
Meanwhile, the newly established and refocused company has been making moves to make its suite of virtual reality and augmented reality offering a seamless experience for users. It has announced that it will fuse three main social VR apps – Horizon World’s, Horizon Venues, and Horizon Workrooms.
Zukerberg firmly believes that the future of social media is firmly in the metaverse where users can interact with themselves in simulated worlds as avatars. Many technology enthusiasts also share this belief. However, not every observer is excited by the prospect of Meta, a centralized organization holding significant power in this future for social media.
In fact, for most cryptocurrency proponents, the best way to go about developing the metaverse is for it to be grounded in decentralized technology and blockchain. Several cryptocurrency projects are already developing their metaverse projects on the blockchain. According to data from CoinMarketCap, metaverse tokens have gained a combined market cap of over $35 billion.
The biggest of these platforms including Decentraland (MANA), Axie Infinity (AXS), and The Sandbox (SAND) offer NFT gaming and play-to-earn models that have attracted a lot of users. Decentraland (MANA) has a market cap of over $5 billion and has seen plots of virtual land sell for over $2 million.
However, Zukerberg’s Meta is not the only company looking to make a significant share of the metaverse. Nvidia also has its eyes set on bringing its own metaverse to market.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?