Users are bashing Norton for introducing a crypto-miner feature, “Norton Crypto” in the Norton 360 software. The move has been seen as an attempt to trap the public into installing crypto software on their computers. The users are feeling betrayed, and many of them have uninstalled the software and canceling subscriptions.
The Verge reports that Norton announced the addition of the crypto miner to the security software. It suggested that users enjoy a better experience and not use complicated mining techniques.
Crypto Miner Needs Permission To Operate
The program was accessible to only a few users initially, but it managed to spread among the masses as the popularity grew. Norton stated that the software comes in handy in installing several mining programs from the internet. After the unwarranted installation of the crypto miner, the users took to Twitter to express their grief over the issue.
The reports suggest that Norton does not automatically start mining; it needs permission to perform any activity. Several users confirmed that the crypto miner did nothing on their computer until they consented.
Because you have made the foolish decision to enable crypto mining, I have cancelled my subscription (and am encouraging everyone I know do to do the same).
But you make cancellation hard. I finally had to talk to a human. Click unsubscribe and you get this. pic.twitter.com/rFW0lgK009
— Grady Booch (@Grady_Booch) January 5, 2022
The Norton Crypto starts mining Ethereum after setting up a wallet on the computer. The crypto-miner requires Nvidia or AMD cards with a minimum of 6 GB of storage for proper functioning. The users will receive their earnings in the wallet; they can only withdraw after reaching a threshold. The program provides people with lucrative offers to draw their attention. However, it takes a significant portion of the earnings through mining.
The Program Does Not Ensure Significant Profits
The program deducts 15% of the total profits of users. Other operators in the market are significantly cheaper; besides the deductions, the program charges a healthy subscription from users, which adds to its list of cons.
The Verge report adds that users are unlikely to derive sufficient profits from Ethereum mining to cover the software charges. Evidence indicates that Norton has introduced the scheme to draw profits and leave users at a loss. The users have to pay for power and electricity and the mining charges. The program fails to gain the public’s trust due to countless downsides.
- Goldman Sachs Says Mainstream Crypto Adoption Not Enough to Boost Bitcoin (BTC) Price
- Fidelity Eyes for ETFs Tied to Metaverse After the SEC Rejects Its Spot Bitcoin ETF
- Rio De Jeneiro’s Mayor Reveals 1%Of Its Treasury Reserves Will Be Poured Into Cryptocurrencies
- Fake Grimacecoin Jumps 285,000% After McDonald’s’ Response to Elon Musk Tweet
- Turkey President Tayyip Erdoğan Orders For Metaverse Research
- After Twitter, Reddit Might Allow Users To Add NFT as Profile Picture
- Facebook’s Bumbling Crypto Venture Diem to Wind Down, Sell Assets
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?