Cryptocurrency debit cards are gaining momentum in 2020. These cards are a useful bridge between the crypto universe and traditional finance world as they work on VISA or Mastercard. Many crypto debit card options exist, enabling holders to swap Bitcoin, Ethereum, or other crypto assets for spendable fiat currency on the fly. With so many options it can be overwhelming to know which one, but one card is emerging as a clear winner.
BlockCard is made by Ternio, a US based fintech company. Ternio, started in 2018, has created a feature rich card that rivals some of the long standing card options. It supports 13 cryptocurrencies and comes in a virtual and plastic card options. Consensus from other crypto card websites, consumer review sites, and users on social media platforms has been positive.
— Jason Ƀerlin (@mrjberlin) May 15, 2020
BlockCard Features We Like:
- Users get two cards (plastic and virtual) with two unique card numbers
- 13 cryptocurrencies are supported, including some unique ones like XLM and BAT
- Apple + Samsung + Google Pay supported for watch or phone
- Deposit crypto on the card or take your card to Walmart or 7-11 and add cash instantly to cryptocurrency.
- Signup and KYC approval is nearly instant, which is a good onboarding experience.
- Clean UI and easy to navigate which works well on desktop and mobile devices
- 6.38% Crypto Rewards that are unlimited
Crypto Back Rewards on BlockCard
The 6.38% crypto rewards feature on it’s own makes BlockCard the only crypto debit card you should be using. This is higher than any other card on the market and it’s unlimited. A BlockCard user could spend $50,000 and earn $3,190 back in crypto. The BlockCard website says:
“Using BlockCard is a rewarding experience, literally. The more you spend, the more you get back. BlockCard offers one of the most competitive rates in the industry thanks to the TERN staking program.”
You have to stake TERN in order to get the rewards. TERN is Ternio’s cryptocurrency that is used on BlockCard. Depending on the amount TERN you stake, you can qualify for 1% to 6% back in rewards. The other 0.38% comes from spending TERN on BlockCard, where your rewards are compounded.
|30,000 TERN||57,500 TERN||82,000 TERN||105,000 TERN||120,000 TERN||145,000 TERN|
TERN is currently trading on exchanges for approximately $0.01, which makes staking TERN relatively cheap based on the rewards you get. However, the cost to earn the rewards will become increasingly expensive as the value of TERN increases.
TERN Crypto Economics
According to CoinGecko – “TERN has a circulating supply of 430 Million coins and a max supply of 1 Billion coins. BitMart is the current most active market trading it. In order to explore addresses and transactions, you may use block explorers such as stellar.expert.” TERN is a Stellar based asset. The overall market cap of TERN is small at $3,000,000, but the circulating supply of TERN is relatively small as well with only 1 Billion available.
According to the BlockCard website. “Every BlockCard Visa Card uses TERN as the default spendable asset. All non-TERN deposits such as Bitcoin are converted to TERN when deposited in the BlockCard Visa Card dashboard. The value of TERN is tied to usage of the BlockCard Visa Card ecosystem. As users deposit on BlockCard Visa Card, the value of TERN increases. As people spend, the value decreases. We have worked hard to build utility of TERN into the functionality of BlockCard Visa Card.”
The use case of TERN is strong, so it will be interesting to see what the future market cap could be assuming the circulating supply remains similar.
|$0.011 TERN||$0.022 TERN||$0.044 TERN||$0.11 TERN||$0.22 TERN||$0.44 TERN|
What BlockCard Needs
Overall, BlockCard is a great card and one every crypto holder should be using, but it does need a few things to conquer the market.
- BlockCard is limited to only United States residents. The website said European customers could apply for the card soon, but there are many countries outside of that which still need to be worked on.
- A mobile application would be nice. While the mobile website worked ok, most major card apps offer a mobile app for Android and iOS.
- Users value stays in TERN on the card and that price can change drastically with the cryptocurrency market. A USDT or USD pegged coin would be a good option for users that don’t want to see price volatility.
Overall, BlockCard is the top crypto debit card of the year. It is feature-rich and offers consumers a lot of functionality (if they can get it). While it is limited to just the US and EU residents (soon), offering it to a broader range of customers globally can help with the overall value of their TERN token. If you do plan to use BlockCard then staking TERN is a must, especially at its current price level. If Ternio can continue its pace of building new features and availability of BlockCard, then it has a high probability of becoming a leading cryptocurrency in the future.