Two months to the launch of ETH 2.0, statistics reveal that the Ethereum network, slow as it is, now secures over $7 billion worth of stablecoins.
Stablecoins are digital currencies tailored to minimize the effect of price volatility since digital assets are well known for their fluctuations. Technically, stablecoins act as a unit of account and most importantly, a reliable refuge as a store of value.
— Anthony Sassano | sassal.eth (@sassal0x) May 17, 2020
List of Stablecoins
The most common stablecoins include Tether (USDT), Gemini Dollar (GUSD), Paxos Standard (PAX), USD Coin (USDC), Binance USD (BUSD), DAI which is issued by the MakerDAO protocol, and Huobi USD (HUSD).
Most of these tokens are issued from the Ethereum blockchain. There are some which are based on the Tron blockchain, and the Omni Network.
Ethereum is Dominant
The smart contracting capability enabled by Ethereum has made it possible for several stablecoins including Tether, the world’s most capitalized, to proliferate. And backing this up has been a stellar 2019 where the benefits of DeFi were highlighted.
By Q1 2020, the total value of Ethereum (ETH) measured in USD terms held at DeFi dapps had exceeded $1 billion in February.
Because the Ethereum ecosystem is free from fiat influence as loans and interests are paid out in digital currencies and specifically the issuance of loans is in DAI, a stablecoin, the success of DeFi therefore means the wide adoption of stablecoins.
Tether (USDT) Flips Bitcoin Cash, USDT Market Cap to Pump
Stablecoins continue to be a key feature.
To measure its role, the world’s most valuable stablecoin, USDT recently flipped Bitcoin Cash (BCH). At the time of press, USDT had a market cap of $4.4 billion, exceeding BCH’s by $200 million.
Despite crypto asset prices stabilizing in the last few days, it is highly likely that USDT market cap and therefore liquidity will likely edge higher in days ahead.
The more BTC and ETH pump, the higher net-worth individuals shielding their privacy through Tether Limited will continue to pour into cryptocurrency through their preferred coin, USDT.
The rise of $USDT and stablecoins on Ethereum:
?️ January 2019
ETH stablecoins: $835 million
USDT on Ethereum: $60 million
?️ April 2020
ETH stablecoins: $5.9 billion
USDT on Ethereum: $4.4 billion pic.twitter.com/1WhTaBSwUX
— Messari (@MessariCrypto) April 22, 2020
This means not only will USDT market cap rise but the issuer will remain dominant even as other stablecoins which are regularly audited and available on different ramps threaten to clip market share.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 200,000,000 #USDT (200,382,814 USD) minted at Tether Treasury
— Whale Alert (@whale_alert) May 14, 2020
USDT has a market share exceeding 77 percent while year-to-date growth has been impressive at over 110 percent.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- CRV Price Analysis: Buyers Prepare To Boost CRV Prices To $1
- DOGE Price Analysis: Pullback Opportunity Eyes its Next Jump to $0.1
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26