In a public statement, today SEC clarified that “If a platform offers to the trade of digital assets that are securities and operates as an “exchange,” as defined by the federal securities laws, then the platform must register according to the SEC rules as a national securities exchange or be exempt from registration”.
Most exchanges are running without the consent of SEC
In its public statement, SEC rules have clearly mentioned its standpoint on the current status of cryptocurrency exchanges running in the country. The statement reads:
“Many platforms refer to themselves as “exchanges,” which can give the misimpression to investors that they are regulated or meet the regulatory standards of a national securities exchange. Although some of these platforms claim to use strict standards to pick only high-quality digital assets to trade, the SEC does not review these standards or the digital assets that the platforms select, and the so-called standards should not be equated to the listing standards of national securities exchanges”
The above statement comes at a time just when people were thinking that SEC might play a light on cryptocurrency. But the public statement clearly indicates that SEC would not allow cryptocurrency exchanges to run without its permission.
ICO’s and other digital asset buy/sell platforms also considered in the statement
SEC also indicated that ICO’s and other digital asset buy/sell online platforms not registered with SEC are also subject of this statement. The rumors of SEC’s involvement in the acquisition of Poloniex exchange by Circle have again resurfaced and this statement strengthens the zeal of SEC to control cryptocurrency exchanges. The cryptocurrency market is expected to react to this news and there might be a drop in cryptocurrency prices.
What are your views on SEC rules for unlawful trading exchanges? Let us your thoughts in comments below.
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Show Strength, Here’s Why
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?