An exchange-traded product that shorts Bitcoin (BTC) hit an over two-month high on Friday, as the world’s largest crypto led a sharp decline in the market.
The 21Shares Short Bitcoin ETP, which trades exactly opposite to BTC, jumped 5.4% in the past two days to its highest level since late-February. This followed a 11% slump in BTC over the same period, which saw the token hit its lowest level since the onset of the Russia-Ukraine war.
Short BTC ETP surges in value this year
The short BTC ETP, which trades on European stock exchanges, is one of the best performing assets this year. The ETP is currently trading up nearly 8% for the year, far better than returns offered by most of the top-50 cryptocurrencies.
21Shares describes the ETP as seeking to provide a “-1x return to the performance of Bitcoin for a single day.” The ETP achieves this by borrowing BTC and simultaneously selling it.
But the product is also billed as high risk by the asset manager. 21Shares recommends the product only for investors willing to take on the risk of such an endeavor.
21Shares offers a slew of ETPs tracking different cryptocurrencies. The fund manager recently launched a product that hedges both BTC and Gold in one product.
Bitcoin short interest hits near 2-mth high
A Bitfinex index that tracks short interest in BTC shows that bearish positions on the token are at their highest since mid-March. The reading comes on the heels of one of BTC’s worst tumbles this year.
The token is now trading near its lowest levels this year, between $35,000 to $36,000. Traders are anticipating further losses in the token, as inflation and monetary tightening fears show little signs of easing.
The U.S. Federal Reserve hiked interest rates this week, as did central banks in the UK, Australia, and India. Several more banks have flagged tightening measures to combat a recent surge in inflation.
- Is Do Kwon’s Terra Recovery Plan Part Of A “Kill Switch” Protocol?
- This Top-50 Crypto Jumped 28% This Week Despite A Market Crash
- Goldman Sachs: Crypto Drawdown Will Have Little Impact on U.S. Economy
- Just-In: Ethereum Merge Most Likely In August, Says Vitalik Buterin
- Beware, Bitcoin Jumping Back Above $30,000 Could Be A Dead Cat Bounce, Here’s why
- Terra Ecosystem Announces Some Key Amendments to Its Revival Plan
- Breaking: Stablecoin Tether ($USDT) Reveals Reserves Fully Backed In New Report
- LUNA Crash: Blockchain Firm Losses $3.5 Billion As Terra (LUNA) Crumbles
- SWIFT Plans To Interlink All CBDCs, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Ripple (XRP) Throws In $100 Million To Cut Down Carbon Emission
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Strikes $30000; Breakout Or Fakeout?
- TRX Price Analysis – Another Bullish Attempt For $0.075 Breakout
- KuCoin Price Analysis: Low Volume Rally Hints Pullback Opportunity in KCS
- Polkadot Price Analysis: Bull Trap May Drag DOT Price To $7.3 Mark
- APE Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Eyes 55% Rise in APE
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured Below $0.45
- EGLD Price Analysis: Decreasing Volume Hints EGLD to Reverse from $75
- Cardano Price Analysis: ADA Price Prepares For 22% Jump; Are You Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Holds Above $30,000; Opportunity To Buy?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000