Terra’s native token LUNA slumped over the past week as a broader downturn in the crypto market hit the token particularly hard. It is the among worst performing tokens among the top-10 cryptocurrencies in the past week.
LUNA fell 4.6% in the past 24 hours to a 9-day low of $85.59. It has also lost nearly 9% in the past seven days, according to data from Coinmarketcap. Still, the token is up over 400% from where it was a year ago.
But LUNA’s recent losses have affected the reserve Terra maintains for its stablecoin UST. Data from the Luna Foundation Guard (LFG) shows LUNA makes up about 7% of the reserve’s value, which is otherwise dominated by Bitcoin.
Bitcoin makes up 78.9% of the reserve, while the stablecoin USDC comprises 12.8%.
LUNA drags UST reserve to near two-month low
Given that Bitcoin has hovered around the $40,000 mark for nearly a month, losses in LUNA appear to have dragged UST reserves to a near two-month low. The reserve is now at levels seen just as Terra founder began purchasing Bitcoin to bolster the reserve.
Total value in the reserve is at $2.13 billion, down nearly 40% from where it was a month ago.
A decline in the value of the reserve means that the UST stablecoin has fewer buffers protecting it against price shocks. This in turn could be detrimental towards the token’s stability. Still, such a price shock is yet to manifest.
UST recently became the third-largest stablecoin by market capital, at over $18 billion. But the token still severely lags its peers in terms of trading volume, given that most of it is locked into DeFi platforms.
Terra needs to tread carefully
With Bitcoin expected to follow a holding pattern for the near future, the UST reserve’s value could be linked to LUNA’s price movements. Terra will likely need to increase the token’s burn rate to boost prices.
Terra will have to be cautious in how it treats LUNA prices going forward. Buying Bitcoin is also a risky prospect, given that crypto market sentiment is in extreme fear.
- Incoming Shiba Inu Rally? Over 22 Billion SHIB Tokens Burned Across 497 Transactions
- French Luxury Brand Balenciaga To Accept Crypto Payments In U.S.
- PayPal May Soon Accept All Forms Of Crypto Reveals Vice-President
- Crypto Analyst Predicts What Will Kickstart Next Bitcoin Bull Run
- Just-In: South Korea May Sue Crypto Exchanges Over Terra Crash
- Breaking: S. Korean Exchanges Redflag Litecoin Mimblewimble Update; May Delist LTC
- Just-In: PlanB Reveals Bitcoin S2F Prediction For 2024 Halving
- Heavy Outflows Force Investors to Seek Refuge In Multi-crypto Investment Products
- PlanB: When Will Bitcoin (BTC) Price Cross $500K?
- Case Study: P2E Gaming Projects Tackling The Barriers To Web3 Mass Adoption
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?