Thailand’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Wednesday issued orders banning the use of digital assets in payments for goods and services. The ban will be effective from April 1.
The move is in line with the Thai Government’s stance against crypto payments. The Bank of Thailand has repeatedly insisted that it does not support the medium as legal tender. The ban also comes as a follow-up to recent comments from the SEC that it would look into regulating the use of tokens in purchasing goods and services.
Ban to protect financial stability in Thailand
The SEC said crypto payments could dent Thailand’s economic stability. This stance is likely motivated by the large amount of volatility seen in the crypto market recently, which makes the medium somewhat unfeasible for use as tender.
Businesses that provide crypto payment services have up to 30 days to comply with the rules, Reuters reported. The move is in line with most other countries’ approach to crypto, where it is approved as an investment vehicle, but not as legal tender.
Recently, Southeast Asian peer Indonesia also warned financial firms against facilitating crypto payments. To date, El Salvador is the only country that has adopted crypto as legal tender.
Thailand still has crypto-friendly regulation
Even with a ban on crypto as legal tender, the Thai Government still has laws to promote the use of crypto. Recently, the government scrapped a planned 15% tax on crypto investments, and instead exempted value-added-tax from transactions on certain crypto exchanges.
The government also allowed traders to offset annual losses against gains for taxes due on cryptocurrency investments. The moves come following a surge in crypto adoption in Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy.
Crypto data aggregator Chainalysis ranked Thailand as third in its index of countries leading DeFi adoption in 2021. It is also ranked 12th in the crypto aggregator’s 2021 global crypto adoption index.
- Bitcoin Miners Likely Behind Crash Below $19K, Here’s Why
- India’s Crypto Exchanges In Trouble? 1% Tax Keeps Traders Away
- Crypto Exchange KuCoin Denies Rumours of Them Halting Exchange Withdrawals
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Emerging Pattern May Soar SAND price by 20%
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery