Despite the regulatory crackdown, Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is making a move into the NFT market. Alibaba-owned most popular English newspaper in Hong Kong – South China Morning Post (SMCP) – will issue its own NFTs tokenizing its media assets.
Dubbed as ARTIFACTs, these NFTs will represent meaningful moments and objects from SCMP’s historical news assets. The announcement notes that the ownership of these tokenized assets will be completely decentralized. It further adds:
Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) make it possible to achieve both objectives, and SCMP aims to create a standardized metadata structure that anyone can use to tokenize history as NFTs, thus providing the foundation on which history can be discovered, connected, and collected in a meaningful way. We are calling these NFTs ARTIFACTs.
However, SCMP is not the first new publication to adopt the NFT route. Earlier in March 2021, the popular TIME magazine released three popular magazine covers in the form of NFTs.
In its official litepaper, SCMP notes that its goal is to tokenize factual accounts of history and other authentic historical assets in the form of ARTIFACTs. The announcement adds:
In the immediate term, we plan to create ARTIFACTs from SCMP’s historical archives using the standardized metadata structure. Our objective is to build the first use case of this standard and to lay the foundation for a rich ARTIFACT ecosystem. In the long run, we will invite other institutions (including media publishers, museums, academic institutions, etc.) to adopt the ARTIFACT standard for the creation of historical NFTs.
Alibaba to Feature NFTs at the Taobao Maker Festival
In another move, the Chinese e-commerce giant will feature real estate NFTs at the Taobao Maker Festival. These NFTs will feature works from Chinese artist Heshan Huang. The artist has collaborated with NEAR Protocol and Web3Games to create hundreds of virtual buildings.
The Alibaba Taobao Maker Festival will feature NFTs for 10 luxury single-family villas, 300 high-end units, and 1,000 ‘Umbrellas’—parasols—within the virtual Bu Tu Garden Community.
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Show Strength, Here’s Why
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?