Uniswap’s native token, UNI, is flowing into the protocol’s governance mechanism but its prices are still tanking despite an increase in collateral.
According to recent metrics from Dune Analytics, around $47.5 million in UNI tokens have been delegated to protocol governance. The dashboard also revealed that there are over 2,000 delegates and over 87,000 UNI holders.
Almost 50M $UNI delegated to governance ???? ????⚖️
— Dune Analytics (@DuneAnalytics) October 5, 2020
As with most DeFi governance systems, a few large addresses hold most of the voting power which effectively gives the whales control over the direction of the protocol.
Late last month, a Glassnode report delved into the Uniswap token distribution roadmap and governance plans concluding that the protocol falls far short of true decentralization. At the time, it stated that only 15 addresses control at least 10 million UNI.
Four of these are reserved for the governance treasury, and one is the airdrop distributor address. Of the remaining ten addresses, nine of them contain part of the team and investor token allocation, and the last one is controlled by Binance.
Uniswap TVL at All-Time High
Centralization concerns aside, Uniswap metrics are continually improving in terms of liquidity provision. The protocol is at the top of the list in terms of total value locked according to Defipulse.com.
TVL is at an all-time high on Uniswap at just under $2.4 billion, or 22% of the total collateral across all DeFi platforms. Over the past two months, it has surged almost 1700%, driven largely by SushiSwap and the launch of its own liquidity mining pools in mid-September.
At the time of writing the amount of crypto collateral locked across those four pools was $1.78 billion, or 75% of the total locked on the platform. The most popular pool is the ETH/USDC one with almost half a million dollars worth locked up.
The pools are currently earning 583,333 UNI per week each and will continue to do so for the next six weeks.
UNI Prices Sliding
The positive collateral figures have not helped UNI token prices, however, as it continues to slide. At the time of writing, UNI was changing hands for $3.12, down 11% on the day according to Uniswap.info.
Since the beginning of October, UNI has dumped 30% and since its peak, shortly after launch, it has lost 60%.
Like most recently launched DeFi tokens, UNI is going off the boil and being sold off as ‘degen’ farmers flock to the new latest craze.
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long
- Avalanche Price Analysis: AVAX Sellers Tease $30 Fallout; Sell or Hold?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Strikes $30000; Breakout Or Fakeout?
- TRX Price Analysis – Another Bullish Attempt For $0.075 Breakout
- KuCoin Price Analysis: Low Volume Rally Hints Pullback Opportunity in KCS