Holders of Bitcoin (BTC) are regaining the strong hands as the number of coins held for 2 – 3 years soars to 15.10% of the total mined coins. This figure was last recorded in late 2015 when the price of BTC traded at $350’s level which signals a possible 20 X boost in price in the coming five years if history does repeat itself.
The HODL waves model
Bitcoin uses a weird kind of structure called the unspent transaction model which shows the last time a coin was used in a transaction. This UXTO model has allowed researchers to classify the cryptocurrency in waves of time the coin has spent in a dormant wallet account. The chart below shows the short term (warm) waves of UXTO i.e. 1-day, 1-week, 1-month bands and the longer-term (cooler) waves i.e. more than a year, 2-3 year waves, 3-5 year waves and those held over 5 years.
The chart offers a relationship between the two periods and their reaction to different market participants’ behavior during high and low price cycles of BTC.
Strong hands signal possible long term bullish run
The two year to three year HODL wave is currently on a four year high at 15.10%, representing 2.74 million coin UXTOs of BTC. This signals an increasing portion of HODLing despite recent volatile pressures on price as it fell to $3,800 through March. This ranks only below the >5year HODL wave that holds 21% of the total mined tokens.
Fun Fact: The last time the 2-3 year HODL Wave age band represented ~15% (2.25m) of available #BTC was November 2015, when BTC was $345
— Unchained Capital (@unchainedcap) March 31, 2020
The insistence against selling further shows the belief in the market participants in the asset which has seen its price skyrocket in the past few years. Trading at $354, the last time so much BTC was held for at least two years, the price exploded in the two years that followed hitting an all-time high of $19,800 before retracing to current levels at $6,300.
Can history repeat itself?
Markets are fluid but normally follow historical patterns, reacting the same under similar fundamentals. With the halving coming up this May, could BTC experience a similar boost to what happened in 2015-2017?
As more BTC is held for longer period of time, disregarding the overall market movements, confidence in the asset grows as a store of value. This may set the coin on a magical run once more with a 20X price increase possible in the next half a decade. Can BTC hit $120,000 by 2025?
(Images from Unchained Capital)
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?