Harmony Protocol’s Horizon Bridge was hacked for about $100 million, Harmony Protocol’s Twitter account announced. Metaverse software company, AAG Ventures, took the major brunt. Out of the approx. $100 mln lost in the hack, AAG lost $84 mln.
Now, AAG has announced that they were able to freeze $78 mln out of the 84 million that they lost.
The Harmony Hack Explained
The Harmony protocol announced that they have stopped the Horizon bridge to ensure the safety of the remaining funds. They revealed that they started working with authorities and forensics experts to retrieve the amount.
Harmony published the exploiter’s Ethereum address and disclosed that the trustless BTC bridge was not impacted. In a separate Tweet, they called for a joint effort to build more trustless bridges which would provide higher security.
Mudit Gupta, a security researcher and CISO of Polygon, revealed that the Horizon Bridge was using a multi-signature mechanism to reach consensus. Out of the 5 signatures, if any 2 agreed on a transaction, it would go through. The exploiter apparently compromised 2 signatures and was able to drain $100M.
Mudit also revealed how the exploit may have nothing to do with any vulnerability in the Horizon Bridge or any other blockchain security-related issue. In fact, the hack may be in the servers that were running the two wallets responsible for verifying any transaction.
The hack is very similar to how the Ronin Bridge was hacked for $600 mln.
How AAG Recovered Its Losses
AAG had partnered with Lossless DeFi and was using their mitigation tool to protect its funds. As a result, Looseless was able to freeze about $78 mln of the $84 mln that was lost by AAG in the hack.
In a stroke of luck, Lossless had launched their protocol on Harmony only a day ago and were able to intervene in the event of the hack.
Tools like Lossless will become more important as the number of exploits continues to rise up.
- Pentagon Raises Damning Concerns Over Bitcoin, Ethereum Security
- Bitcoin Cash Sinks 7% As Its Biggest Advocate Is Accused Of Default
- Here’s Why Ethereum (ETH) Price Can Plunge More Ahead
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- Breaking: No VAT On Cryptocurrency Issuers In Russia, Details
- Just In: Robinhood Lists Chainlink (LINK); Price Up By 5%
- Just In: USDC Parent Inks Major Pact With New York Bank
- Here’s Why Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices Tumbled
- This Is Why Ethereum (ETH) Recovered Sharply From Below $1K
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077