Gemini, the New York-based cryptocurrency exchange has become the latest to raise a multi-million funding round this bull season. As per a report in Forbes, Gemini is all set to close a $400 million first funding round that would give it a valuation of $7.1 billion. The latest funding round has nearly doubled the combined wealth of Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss from $6 billion to $10.5 billion.
The massive funding round was led by Morgan Creek Digital and saw participation from decentralized finance venture firm ParaFi Capital, and a few others such as Jay-Z’s Marcy Venture Partners, former Disney chairman Jeffrey Katzenberg’s WnderCo, the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, private equity firm 10T, family office advisory Newflow Partners, as well as United Talent Agency, Jane Street. The Winklevoss twins will retain 75% of the shareholdings while the remaining will be distributed among new board members.
“There are these two parallel paths, in terms of technology right now,” says Cameron Winklevoss, 40, speaking from his home in California. “There’s a centralized path, like Facebook or Fortnight, that is one step away from being a metaverse, and that’s totally fine. But there is another path, which is the decentralized metaverse and that’s the metaverse where we believe there’s a greater choice, independence, and opportunity, and there is a technology that protects the rights and dignity of individuals.”
Gemini Aims to Take on Metaverse
What many people might not be aware of is that Winklevoss twins and Mark Zukerberg were college friends that eventually led to the creation of Facebook and a lawsuit. Winklevoss twins might have lost Facebook to Zukerberg, but now it seems the tables have turned and Gemini is at the forefront to take on the Metaverse while Facebook is building it’s own called Meta.
The decentralized showdown between the two sides looks like history repeating itself and Winklevoss twins definitely have the edge over Facebook and Mark Zukerberg this time.
- Ripple Objects To SECs Request To Buy More Time Following Recent Court Ruling
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?