Canada’s largest state-owned utility Hydro-Quebec is not able to meet the electricity demand of its cryptocurrency miners that were looking to establish their operations in this energy-rich province. Digital Currency miners were rushing here to benefit from the company’s claim of 5,000-megawatt power to spare, low energy prices and political stability.
Miners’ overwhelming demand for electricity
Hydro-Quebec designed a campaign to attract the investment from the mining industry that became a wonderful success. However, just after a week, the company is indicating that they might not be able to meet the scale of power that is needed by the cryptocurrency miners.
Recently, in response to the overwhelming demand from the mining companies and the increase in the number of companies, the spokesperson for Hydro-Quebec, Marc-Antoine Pouliot said:
“We won’t be able to power all the projects that we’re receiving. We are receiving dozens of demands each day. This context is prompting us to clearly define our strategy.”
According to Feral Pierssens, who works with the cryptocurrency miners that are looking to set up their operations in Canada:
“This is the tip of the iceberg, as only a fraction of the initiatives has reached out to Hydro Quebec yet.”
The potential breakdown on miners in China, which is one of the biggest sources of cryptocurrency mining in the world has made Quebec an attractive site for the mining companies. However, in the wake of this announcement, it seems Hydro-Quebec won’t be able to meet the anticipated demand in the long term.
According to Hydro-Quebec, it has been estimated that over the next decade, it will be able to have an energy surplus of about 100 terawatt hours worths of power. This much energy is required to power 6,000,000 homes in a year.
The big players are also eyeing Quebec
The director of business development at Hydro Quebec, David Vincent also spoke about the province’s potential to attract big names:
“Of the world’s top five largest blockchain players, we have at least three or four.”
At the beginning of this month only, the spokesman of Bitmain, world’s largest mining company, stated that the company is looking for a potential site in Quebec and is already in discussions with the power authorities regarding a number of sites.
With the number of interested parties doubling in a week, the province is finding it hard to meet the growing demand of mining companies. Eric Filion, the Vice President of distribution in Hydro-Quebec, also talked about the issues coming up with suitable infrastructure requirements.
Fillion was quoted as saying:
“We have the energy available. It’s a question of finding land and buildings quickly.”
What are your thoughts on this scenario? Who do you think would be the next nation to come up with site options for bitcoin mining? Let us know your thought in comments below and follow or write us on twitter and facebook page.
The presented content may include the personal opinion of the author and is subject to market condition. Do your market research before investing in cryptocurrencies. The author or the publication does not hold any responsibility for your personal financial loss.
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?
- Theta Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Insights into the crucial Reversal levels
- Sandbox Price Prediction 2022 : Analysts Show Optimism Towards The Metaverse SAND Token
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long