The Latin American country El Salvador has announced its plans to launch the world’s first ‘Bitcoin City’. Country President Nayib Bukele took the center stage at an event on Saturday, November 20.
As per the announcement, Bitcoin City will be initially funded by Bitcoin bonds. Besides, the city planned to the east of the country will get its energy supply from the volcano and won’t levy any taxes except the value-added tax (VAT).
Well, Bitcoin maximalist Max Keiser deserves a special mention on this occasion as he was the first to propose this idea back in June 2021. Back then he said that floating Bitcoin ‘Volcano Bonds’ could help the country to retire from the IMF loans.
“Max Keiser Suggests El Salvador to Float Bitcoin 'Volcano Bonds' https://t.co/OwwRIg6dIG
— ☣️ BITCOIN MAXIMALIST (@maxkeiser) November 21, 2021
The El Salvador Bitcoin Volcano Bonds
As per the available details, El Salvador is planning to issue $1 billion in tokenized USD-denominated 10-year bonds. “We’ll start funding in 2022, the bonds will be available in 2022,” said Bukele.
However, Bukele has tapped into two big players – Blockstream and Bitfinex – to issue these bonds. Speaking alongside Bukele, Samson Mow, chief strategy officer of Blockstream said that the binds will pay 6.5% via the Liquid network.
Interestingly, half of the “volcano bonds” shall be converted into Bitcoin and the remaining half shall be used for infrastructure and developing the Bitcoin mining facility powered by geothermal energy.
Mow further explained that after a five-year lockup, the government will start selling Bitcoins and pay an additional dividend to investors. As per the Blockstream model, at the end of the 10-year, the annual projected yield could be close to 150% considering Bitcoin’s projected appreciation.
Mow further noted that this plan will help El Salvador become the Singapore of Latin America. “The first countries that do this will have a massive advantage. This is the beginning of nation state Bitcoin FOMO,” Mow said, referring to “fear of missing out”.
The Bitcoin City infrastructure will be built near Conchagua Volcano which will help to provide energy for mining.
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- Breaking: No VAT On Cryptocurrency Issuers In Russia, Details
- Just In: Robinhood Lists Chainlink (LINK); Price Up By 5%
- Just In: USDC Parent Inks Major Pact With New York Bank
- Here’s Why Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices Tumbled
- This Is Why Ethereum (ETH) Recovered Sharply From Below $1K
- Top Binance Exec To Keep Buying Bitcoin, But There’s A Catch
- Expert Sees Fed Reversing Interest Rate Hikes, How Will It Affect Crypto?
- New Bullish Cycle Likely After Bitcoin Reaches This Level, Stats Show
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- Dogecoin Price Analysis: DOGE Winning Streak Aims to Reclaim $0.077
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Reversal Pattern Sets 21% Rise in APE Price
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Will ETH Relief Rally Revert From $1300?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- Higher Price Rejection Hints BTC to Retest $20000