The U.S. economy is currently staring at the chances of a major recession with inflation soaring and growth decelerating. On the other hand, the crypto market meltdown has drawn the attention of lawmakers as U.S. households own one-third of the global crypto market.
However, Wall Street banking giant Goldman Sachs doesn’t see much of a worry here. It notes that the crypto market correction will have little impact on the U.S. economy per see.
The Goldman Sachs economists explained that the overall U.S. household net worth stood at $150 trillion as per last year’s data. On the other hand, the crypto market has lost a $1 trillion valuation over the last year. Thus, the economists believe that this is still “very small” to the entire U.S. household net worth. In a note on Thursday, May 19, the Goldman Sachs economists led by Jan Hatzius wrote:
“We therefore expect any drag on aggregate spending from the recent declines in cryptocurrency prices to be very small as well”.
Impact of Crypto vs Stocks
During the recent correction, more than $7 trillion has been eroded from the U.S. equity market. Economists are studying the impact of this sell-off in the equity and the crypto market on the broader economy.
Bloomberg quoted a study showing that every Dollar lost in stocks led to a reduction of 3 cents in spending. This five-month sell-off in 2022 means over a $300 billion spending cut. As per the Goldman Sachs study, stocks constitute 33% of the total U.S. household net worth by the end of 2021. On the other hand, crypto accounted for only 0.3%.
“These patterns imply that equity price fluctuations are the main driver of changes in household net worth, while cryptocurrencies are only a marginal contributor,” Goldman Sachs economists wrote.
The banking giant further adds: “cryptocurrency investors skew younger and male, a demographic group whose labor force participation has generally been less affected by wealth fluctuations”.
- NFT Marketplace OpenSea Flags Data Breach, Here’s What Was Leaked
- EU Passes A Bill to Trace the Flow of Bitcoin & Crypto Assets In Regulatory Tightening Measures
- North Korea’s Lazarus Group Behind $100 Million Horizon Hack, Harmony Initiates Global Manhunt
- Grayscale Initiates A Lawsuit Against the U.S. SEC Over Spot Bitcoin ETF Issues
- Pentagon Raises Damning Concerns Over Bitcoin, Ethereum Security
- Bitcoin Cash Sinks 7% As Its Biggest Advocate Is Accused Of Default
- Here’s Why Ethereum (ETH) Price Can Plunge More Ahead
- This Crypto Winter Suite Could Help Investors In Bear Market
- Terra USTC Price Skyrockets By 75%; Will It Recover More?
- Breaking: No VAT On Cryptocurrency Issuers In Russia, Details
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?
- Stacks Price Analysis: Reversal Within Wedge Pattern Eyes $0.3 Support
- Tezos Price Analysis: XTZ Rebounds from Yearly Support; is it a good buy?
- Tron Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Governs the TRX Price Action; Should Coin Holders Worry?