In a quick response to the ongoing energy crisis in the region, the Republic of Kosovo has reportedly banned cryptocurrency mining, at least for now.
Kosovo Bans Crypto Mining To Save Energy Situation
According to a report by local media Gazeta Express, Kosovo’s Economy Minister, Artane Rizvanolli has decided to act on the recommendation of the Technical Committee for Emergency Measures in Energy Supply, in what is expected to be part of several relief measures.
The measures as suggested by last week’s recommendation include the:
“prohibition of the production of cryptocurrencies throughout the territory.”
Recall that the government had declared a state of emergency in December, and that, is expected to last for 2 months. According to Gazeta Express, this would allow the nation to properly allocate enough energy from its energy imports and also introduce power cuts.
However, Kosovo is not the first nation to experience such a crisis in its energy sector. In a similar move as this, Iran also banned crypto mining within its shores on December 28. But Iran’s ban has a date to it, giving until March 6 to save power and avoid blackouts all through winter.
Meanwhile, the local report also noted that law enforcement agencies are set to help ensure that this mining ban is strictly adhered to. They would work to identify miners who fail to comply with the new law.
Where Mining Goes, Energy Gets Depleted
Cryptocurrency mining has always been known to consume a lot of energy, causing a lot of headaches for governments around the world. In fact, a recent report claims that Bitcoin consumes eight times more power than Facebook and Google combined.
Recently, several nations have continued to express their concern about mining-related power outages, including Iran and Kazakhstan.
But in all of this, the only nation that seems to be enjoying and flourishing from China’s decision to send miners into exile in September, is Thailand.
- OpenSea’s Meteoric Rise May Trigger An Ethereum Crash, Here’s Why
- Breaking: JPMorgan Closes Uniswap (UNI) Founder’s Accounts
- UBS Warns Of Apocalyptic Crypto Winter And The Cryptocurrency Prices Are Poised To Crash
- SOL Tanks 6% As Solana Faces Another 48 Hour Outage, Boom and Bust Moment for Solana?
- Fantom (FTM) Surpasses Avalanche and Solana as DeFi TVL Crosses $12 Billion
- Buy The Dip Survey Shows 61% Of Chinese Bitcoin Investors Still Willing To Bet On Bitcoin
- Mike Novogratz Bets To Pay Peter Schiff $1 M If Bitcoin Price Stays Below $35,000 After 2022
- “At Some Point There’ll Be A Flash Crash” Says Gold Bull Peter Schiff
- Binance And FTX Worst Hit Exchanges As Losses Climb Almost Two Billion Combined
- Bitcoin S2F Founder says Current dip cannot stop Bitcoin from Adding Another Zero
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?