US President Donald Trump, who is more vocal about his feelings and thoughts than many, finally spoke about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. He not only gave his views in general but also spoke negatively about Facebook’s cryptocurrency plans with Libra.
While his views were not favorable towards Bitcoin or any cryptocurrency, it hardly had an effect on prices over more than $50. The price of Bitcoin at 2: 45 Hours UTC on 12th July 2019 is 11,380. It is trading 4.72% lower on a daily scale.
Richard Heart, angel investor and trader noted,
Trump speaks ill of # at $11,295. Price pumps 2% in an hour. 1.5 hours later it’s now sitting at $11,344.
This is probably the first time that the President of the United States has spoken about Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. Facebook’s crypto plans with Libra have primarily influenced it. The announcement has shaken the Financial Services industry. However, his views also had a silver lining to it – that he did not announce any sanctions or propose any strict laws over cryptocurrencies.
Moreover, while he spoke against Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, it cannot be entirely seen as a regulatory threat – his views summarized the general rhetoric against Bitcoin’s volatility and intrinsic value.
Donald Trump noted in his tweet that “he is not a fan of Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies.” According to him, their value is based on “thin air,” and it is “highly volatile.”
Furthermore, he also said that
Unregulated Crypto Assets can facilitate unlawful behavior, including drug trade and other illegal activity
According to his, Facebook’s new “virtual currency” will have little standing or dependability. Nevertheless, he also acknowledged the competition that cryptocurrencies are currently posing to the banks. He said,
Facebook and other companies want to become a bank, they must seek a new Banking Charter and become subject to all Banking Regulations, just like other Banks, both National and International
On Crypto’s Use as Currency and the US Dollar
While he did not comment on Bitcoin’s utility as a store of value. He spoke about the application of cryptocurrencies in payments. Not surprisingly, he was only in favor of the United States Dollar and asserted its dominance. He said,
We have only one real currency in the USA, and it is stronger than ever, both dependable and reliable. It is by far the most dominant currency anywhere in the World, and it will always stay that way. It is called the United States Dollar!
Find the link of the Twitter thread here.
Do you think Bitcoin or Libra or any other cryptocurrency will be able to thrive under such regulatory oversight? Please share your views with us.
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Just In: Basel Committee Proposes Cap For Banks’ Bitcoin Holding
- Dogecoin (DOGE), Shiba Inu (SHIB) Show Strength, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Singapore Financial Regulator Reprimands Three Arrows Capital
- Ethereum Exchange Supply Spikes, ETH At A Risk of Correcting to $700 And Below
- Bitcoin Prices Can Reach This Level By End Of 2022; Reveals Deutsche Bank
- NFT Marketplace OpenSea Flags Data Breach, Here’s What Was Leaked
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?