On Tuesday, the Bitcoin (BTC) price tanked under $30,000 levels wiping out all its 2021 gains. This gave many investors the opportunity to buy the dips and increase their holdings. As Glassnode reported, the GBTC Discount has narrowed down by 66% over the last week.
Last Friday, June 18, the GBTC product was trading at a discount of -14.43% and now it has narrowed down to -4.83%. Meaning, the GBTC product has closed the gap with spot Bitcoin price by a massive 66% in a week’s time.
The Grayscale $GBTC product has traded higher this week, closing the price gap to spot #Bitcoin by 66%.$GBTC was trading at a -14.44% discount on Friday, and now trades at a much smaller discount of -4.83%.
— glassnode (@glassnode) June 24, 2021
This happens as institutional players started buying the dips after Tuesday’s price crash. On Tuesday, June 22, Cathie Wood’s Ark Invest purchased over 1 million additional GBTC shares worth a massive $29.3 million. Post the purchase, the Ark Generation Internet ETF (ARKW) ETF now holds 8.5 million GBTX shares in total.
The Movement in GBTC Share Price
The Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (GBTC) is one of the biggest crypto investment vehicles in the U.S. allowing institutional players to gain exposure to Bitcoin. The GBTC premium or discount usually refers to the difference between the price of the underlying BTC asset and its implied price based on the trust’s shares.
Last month, there were talks that Grayscale is planning to convert its GBTC product into an exchange-traded fund (ETF) subject to regulatory approval. Some traders believe that the discount will evaporate if Grayscale gets permission from the U.S. SEC.
Interestingly, the GBTC share purchase for institutional players comes with a six-month lockup. By the end of June i.e. next week, the lockups will expire. Post the unlock, investors who purchased GBTC shares at a premium in Dec-Jan won’t be willing to sell them at a discount.
As a result, this won’t create further downward pressure on GBTC shares. Thus, we won’t be possibly seeing more sellers next week, which will further narrow the discount gap.
All eyes will be on whether if GBTC manages to secure the U.S. SEC approval for the ETF.
- Breaking: Do Kwon Releases Another LUNA Revival Plan
- Just-In: Grayscale Adds Five New Tokens To Its Investment Products
- Another Stablecoin Follows LUNA $UST, Crashes Within Hours
- PlanB: Bitcoin (BTC) Is Creating A Bottom For The Next Bull Market
- Shiba Inu Holders Increase Amid Market Crash, But There’s A Catch
- LUNA Crash: South Korea Toughens Up Investigations Over Terra (LUNA) Crisis
- Avalanche (AVAX) Slumps 5% In Minutes On Fears Of Terra Dump
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Reserves Decimated By Terra Crash
- Breaking: Luna Foundation Guard Member Says Terra Reserves En Route
- Just-In: El Salvador To Discuss Bitcoin Adoption With 44 Countries
- Ethereum Price Analysis: ETH Price Erases Recovery Gains Towards $2,000
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Sinks 10%; Are You Still Holding?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Under Bear’s Spell; Is $26,000 On Cards Again?
- ETH Price Analysis: Consolidation Range Soon To Launch ETH Above $2250
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Triangle Breakout Sets BTC Rally To $32000 Mark
- LUNA Price Analysis: Opportunity to Buy Cheap or A Bull Trap?
- Decentraland Price Analysis: MANA Price Prepares For 60% Gains; Are You Buying?
- SOL Price Analysis: Is $60.0 Around The Corner On The 4-hour Chart?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern Retest Phase Warns $0.08 Fallout
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Price Remains Pressured below $0.50; Is Selling A Good Choice?