Livecoin, one of the largest Russian exchanges just announced that it will be closing down operations. The official announcement noted that the exchange could not recover from the financial and technical losses incurred due to a hack in December 2020. Thus they have decided to seize their operations and return the remaining funds to their clients. The official announcement read,
Dear clients, as we reported earlier, our service was under attack in December 2020. The investigation is in an active phase right now. Our service has been damaged hard technically and financially. There is no way to continue operative business in these conditions, so we take a hard decision to close the business and paying the remaining funds to clients.
The firm informed that clients can claim refurbishment of their funds by sending an official mail along with the details of their accounts and post verification they would be refurbished by the crypto platform. The last date for the claim is set to 17th March 2021, post which no claims for refurbishment would be entertained.
Livecoin Cites Technical & Financial Loss Beyond Recovery
Livecoin was hacked back in December 2020 which the exchange claimed was a dedicated and well-planned attack because of which they lost control of most of its servers. After taking over, the alleged hackers changed the pricing of listed cryptocurrencies to an abruptly high amount where Bitcoin was priced at $300,000 when the market price was around $24,000.
The crypto exchange did not reveal the extent of loss, however, they mentioned that it was beyond recovery. Research into the hacking revealed that the loss was estimated to be about $3.3 million where Livecoin users lost 106 bitcoin (BTC), 380 ether (ETH), 236 bitcoin cash (BCH), 567,000 XRP, 66.8 million DOGE, 56,000 Tether (USDT), and some other ERC-20 tokens.
While the exchange has promised to help its clients many users on Twitter claimed it was another exit scam.
- Ethereum’s Futures Open Interest hit a 3-month low, what does this mean for the market?
- Professional Mining from Digital Mining Experts Is Now Available via GMT
- Just-In: Georgia Binds Its Residents in Holy Oath Against Bitcoin Mining
- Wager Based 3D PVE/PVP Arena Battler Engines of Fury Storms GameFi With Incredible Content
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Devs Begin to Fix Recent Issue of ‘Wormhole’ Addresses’; Here’s All You Need to Know
- BNY Mellon Sees Meaningful Revenue In Crypto by 2023 Post Clear Regulations
- Moody’s Confirms El Salvador’s Ratings Unchanged After President Bukele’s Reactive Tweet
- Luxury Car brand Lamborghini joins the NFT Bandwagon
- Mercedes Taps NFT Creators In Celebration of G-Class Series
- Why Ethereum (ETH) Price May Explode Coming July?
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?