Defi project COVER protocol has become the latest victim of an exploit resulting in millions of stolen Cover tokens worth $2 million. The hacker exploited the cover protocol and minted an unlimited supply of cover tokens. The price of token has crashed by more than 77% since then.
— frxresearch (@frxresearch) December 28, 2020
The price of the token crashed by over 77% within an hour of the exploitation news coming out. The price of the COVER protocol token dropped from a daily high of $950 to $219 within an hour of the exploit. The token price has recovered since then and currently trading at near $302.
How Hackers Managed to Exploit COVER Protocol?
The attackers managed to exploit a bug in the Cover’s incentive contract called infinite mining bug’. Nansen, an analyst group focused on Ethereum wallets revealed that the exploiter managed to carry on his exploits for over 2 hours and all of the $2 million stolen funds were minted token.
Attacker minted for around 2 hours, then first dumped 113 $COVER on 1inch.
— Nansen (@nansen_ai) December 28, 2020
The exploiters carried the attack mainly in two parts where they first minted Cover tokens for around two then dumped 114 Cover tokens on newly launched 1Inch DEX, before carrying on the exploit for another hour. After minting the Cover token for another hour, the hackers finally dumped all the tokens
Latest Update on Cover Protocol Hack
- Binance Steps In, Suspends COVER Trading and COVER token Deposits
As per the latest update on COVER hack, Binance has suspended the COVER token trading and deposits following the hack news. While many are appreciating Binance for quick response many others are questioning the quality of on-boarding process and standards in Defi space.
— Binance (@binance) December 28, 2020
- The Cover Protocol Hacker Returns All ETH Profits Back to Deployer Account
As per the latest reports the exploiter of COVER protocol hack has returned all the ethereum profits from selling COVER tokens back to deployer account. This is very unusual as this exploitation seems to be not an attempt to steal COVER tokens rather a dump scheme to crash the prices.
— Anthony Sassano | sassal.eth ???? (@sassal0x) December 28, 2020
The total amount of Ether returned is 4350 valued around $3 Million at the time of reporting. Crypto community is taking this event very seriously and this might attract regulators as well.
Defi ecosystem has managed to increase its market cap from under a billion to over $17 billion this year itself, thus making it a prominent success story. However the recent slew of rug-pulls, exit scams, and multiple exploits has also drawn several parallels with the infamous ICO era. Defi is on the verge of making it big and finally going mainstream through its use cases in the Forex and digital banking networks. However, the growing concerns around security must be addressed to make that possible.
- Do Kwon Says Terra Collecting Snapshot Data For LUNA Airdrop
- Top ETH Whales Add These DeFi Tokens Amid Crypto Volatility
- Here’s Why Bitcoin (BTC) Could Be In for Another 50% Correction Under $15,000
- Another Top Exchange To Delist Terra UST Over Collapse
- Just-In: Vitalik Buterin No Longer A Billionaire As Ethereum Crashes
- Bitcoin Price: Key Metrics Show Surprising Insights
- After Terra Crash, Galaxy Digital CEO Warns Against Bottom Buying
- Shiba Inu (SHIB) Prices May Jump Next Week; Here’s Why
- Is Andre Cronje Back On Fantom? FTM Jumps 13%
- PlanB Says Bear Market Almost Over, Bitcoin (BTC) In Buying Range
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Apecoin Price Prediction 2022 : The future of Web3 and NFTs ?
- Ethereum Classic Price Prediction 2022 : Here’s What to Expect from ETC Price ?
- SAND Price Analysis: SAND Buyers Await Trendline Breakout To Go Long
- Avalanche Price Analysis: AVAX Sellers Tease $30 Fallout; Sell or Hold?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: BTC Price Strikes $30000; Breakout Or Fakeout?
- TRX Price Analysis – Another Bullish Attempt For $0.075 Breakout
- KuCoin Price Analysis: Low Volume Rally Hints Pullback Opportunity in KCS
- Polkadot Price Analysis: Bull Trap May Drag DOT Price To $7.3 Mark