India’s chief security regulator the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) warned mutual funds against investing in crypto assets until clear regulations come out.
In a press conference, the chairman of the SEBI group Ajay Tyagi addressed the issue and said it won’t be an ideal situation for mutual funds to invest public money in crypto without the government’s regulatory framework. Mutual funds are one of the most popular forms of investment for the majority of the Indian household thus if domestic mutual funds seek NFO (new fund offer) approval from the regulator, they must avoid crypto investments.
Crypto investments are not illegal in India, despite no regulations put in place yet, people and firms can invest and trade crypto assets. However, SEBI belive with no clarity on tax brackets and no clear indication from the government, it’s best to avoid for companies to offer crypto-themed investment options.
Invesco Mutual Fund became the first asset management company in India to get SEBI’s approval to offer a blockchain fund called Invesco CoinShares Global Blockchain ETF Fund of Fund (FoF). The fund offered exposure to global crypto and blockchain companies, however, its launch was delayed even after the approval due to regulatory uncertainty.
Indian central bank adamant on a ban
The much-anticipated cryptocurrency bill failed to make it to the Indian parliament’s winter session despite it being listed as one of the agendas before the start of the session. This was the second incident in 2021 where the cryptocurrency bill didn’t find a place for discussion. However, the Indian finance minister Nirmala Sitharman had said that the government won’t take a blanket approach.
Despite assurance from the Indian finance minister and many insiders hinting at a positive regulatory approach, the Indian Central Bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) remains adamant on a blanket ban. However, according to insiders, the regulators have made it clear that it’s “too late” for a complete ban.
- Breaking: Valkyrie Planning To List Bitcoin Mining ETF On NASDAQ
- Just-In: OpenSea Reportedly Planning to Integrate Solana And Phantom Wallet
- Can Bitcoin’s Price Hit $1 Million? Ark Invest Is Confident It Can Happen In 2030
- DappRadar: Strong Possibility of DeFi Shakeout In 2022 Amid Crypto User Exodus
- YouTube’s Head of Gaming Joins Polygon Studios, CEO Praises NFT and Crypto
- Bitcoin And Ethereum Sell Off Nearing An End- CNBC Host Jim Cramer
- Crypto News: Thailand To Regulate Cryptocurrencies As Means of Payment
- YouTube’s CEO Hints That NFTs Might Be Coming To The Video Sharing App
- Will McDonald’s Accept Dogecoin Following Elon Musk’s Challenge?
- Bitcoin’s Positive Correlation With The Stock Market Index Records A Mild Increase
- Solana Creeps Higher, Looks To Revisit January Highs AT $177.0
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Fibonacci Retracement level 0.618 Triggers Recovery Rally In ETH Coin
- BTC Price Analysis: Death Crossover Brings Nightmares On Satoshi Street; Is This A Buying Opportunity?
- Bitcoin Death Cross Haunting Investors, Will BTC Make or Break?
- DOGE Price Analysis: Highly Influential Bearish Trendline Undermines Bullish Attempts; Buy, Sell Or Hold?
- Terra Price Analysis: Will LUNA Price Bounce Back at 0.382 Fibonacci Retracement?
- SAND Price Analysis: Sandbox Price Losses 50% Retracement Level, Good Time to Buy?
- LINK Price Analysis: Chainlink price reclaims 200-day EMA, Emerging trendline Suggests More Upward Price Movement
- Harmony Price Analysis: Rising Parallel Pattern Could Lead 30% Growth In $ONE Price
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP Bears Struggle To Breach $0.7 Support Zone, Is A Reversal Next Move?