On Thursday, the Senate of Paraguay passed a bill that seeks to regulate the mining and trading of cryptocurrencies in the country.
According to a Twitter post by one of the three proponents of the bill, Senator Fernando Silva Facetti says the Chamber of Deputies of Paraguay will sit to deliberate on the bill in 2022.
Paraguay To Decide on Crypto Bill
The bill requires all miners – whether private individuals or business entities – to request for approval to consume industrial electricity, before applying for a license.
Additionally, the bill states that the Industry and Commerce Secretariat willl be overseeing crypto mining within the country, albeit with the help of the country’s Anti-money Laundering Office and National Securities Commission. Meanwhile, the National Electricity Administration will also partake in regulating the activity.
Meanwhile, despite not clearly stating the idea of an exchange, the bill clearly proposes a sort of record keeping of any individual or legalized business entity looking to offer trading or custody services of crypto to others.
Also contained in the bill is the fact that Paraguay consumes only one-third of the energy it produces. Invariably, this means that, if regulated, crypto mining activities would make up for the remaining thousands of megawatts of electricity that Paraguay currently has no use for.
In short, the bill is seeking to take advantage of the surplus energy in the Latin American country, and will be deliberated upon by the Chamber of Deputies in 2022 as earlier mentioned.
Paraguay is no doubt a safe haven for many mining companies due to its low electricity tariff, which is obviously the lowest in the region, charging at only about $0.05 per kilowatt-hour.
- Elrond Price Jumps By 9% Over This Announcement
- XRP Holding Better Than Most Altcoins, Here’s Why
- Breaking: Polygon, Major Blockchains Hit With Network Attack
- New Crypto Rules In Europe: A Global Standard For Regulation?
- Third Biggest Whale Adds 1,416 Bitcoins In Last 2 Days; Will This Pump BTC?
- ‘Big Short’ Michael Burry Says Bitcoin Crash Is Only Halfway Through
- These Whales Scoop $850 mln Worth FTX Tokens Ahead Of BlockFi Deal
- Breaking: El Salvador Buys 80 Bitcoin (BTC), Here’s How Prices Reacted
- U.S. DoJ Slaps Charges Against Promoters of Baller Ape Club NFT In Rug Pull Scam
- Canada-based Ledn Challenges FTX’s Bid of BlockFi Acquisition With Better Proposal
- Polygon Price Analysis: V-top Reversal may Direct MATIC to $0.31 Support
- ETH Price Analysis: Is Ethereum Dropping To Three Digits?
- Bitcoin Price Analysis- BTC on Losing Streak Nearing $17800; Will it Hold?
- NEAR Price Analysis: Falling Prices Eye $3 Breakdown; Should Coin Holders Worry?
- SHIB Price Analysis: Sustained Selling may Lead $SHIB to $0.0000074?
- Sandbox Price Analysis: Crashing SAND Prices Warns 25% Downfall
- Solana Price Analysis: $36 Breakdown Teases SOL Price to Revisit $26
- Chainlink Price Analysis: Wedge Pattern could Lead LINK price below to $5
- AAVE Price Analysis: Buyers Need $76.6 Breakout to Trigger Bullish Recovery
- Apecoin Price Analysis: Rising APE Price Knockout Another Barrier; is $6 Next?