The head of a South Korean crypto exchange was reportedly indicted for allegedly leaking military secrets to a presumed North Korean agent.
Officials have so far declined to reveal the identity of the accused, only releasing his surname, Lee. The individual allegedly colluded with a military officer and leaked sensitive information to a North Korean agent.
The move comes amid growing tensions between the two Koreas, over Pyongyang’s stepping up of its nuclear testing. The country has also ramped up its anti-U.S. rhetoric, and carried out a series of missile tests this year.
Exchange head bribed military officer in crypto
According to South Korean news agency Yonhap, Lee approached a military captain last year and promised to compensate the officer in crypto if he provided confidential information. Lee then passed on the information to the supposed agent.
The officer provided Lee with login information for a military platform, for which they were compensated with crypto worth over 700 million won ($551,000).
Both Lee and the captain were indicted under the Nation Security Act. Authorities are currently searching for the presumed North Korean spy, Yonhap reported. It is also unclear what more information was leaked.
North Korean hackers target crypto firms
An infamous North Korean hacking group, called Lazarus, was linked to a record $620 million crypto heist earlier this year. The funds were stolen from popular play-to-earn game Axie Infinity.
The group has reportedly looted over $2 billion worth of cryptocurrency since 2017.
U.S. authorities recently warned cryptocurrency firms that the group was looking to launch more attacks, either through phishing or even malicious crypto applications.
North Korean groups have also been using malware to steal cryptocurrency.
These actors will likely continue exploiting vulnerabilities of cryptocurrency technology firms, gaming companies, and exchanges to generate and launder funds to support the North Korean regime.
The U.S. government said in a recent press release.
- Breaking: Terra 2.0 Plan Officially Approved, Testnet Goes Live
- Do Kwon’s Terra 2.0 Plan Rejected By S.Korean Crypto Exchanges
- Just-In: Avalanche Asks ApeCoin To Ditch Ethereum For Otherside Launch
- Tron (TRX) Overtakes Shiba Inu In Value On This Key Reason
- Voting On New Terra Chain To End Soon, Where Does The Tally Stand?
- Ethereum Gas Fee Drops To the Lowest Since July 2021, ETH In Accumulation Phase
- Popular Crypto Wallet MetaMask to Integrate Coinbase Pay As Part of Web 3 Push
- Why Billionaire Ray Dalio Is Still Betting Big On Bitcoin (BTC)?
- CZ Fuels Rumors Of Binance’s Trading Service Launch In Dubai
- Just-In: European Central Bank Says Crypto Unsuitable As Store Of Value
- TRON Price Analysis: High Volume Breakout may Lead TRX to $0.9 Mark
- Tezos Price Analysis: Dynamic Trendline May Carry XTZ Price to $2.4
- AAVE Price Analysis: AAVE Chart Hints Coin Holders May Lose $100 Mark
- What Next For The Fast Recovering FTM Price?
- Ethereum Price Analysis: Triangle Pattern Foretells Upcoming Rally in ETH
- Zilliqa Price Analysis: Channel Breakout Hints ZIL Price to hit $0.1
- Bitcoin Price Analysis: Trapped Bullish Momentum Need Triangle Breakout
- FTM Price Analysis: Buyers Tease Breakout From Long-Coming Trendline
- GALA Price Analysis: High Momentum Fallout Warns $0.075 Fallout
- Solana Price Prediction 2022: Bulls to drive SOL Price to new Highs?